Official Media Partner
2021 was a busy year for Birmingham businesses. We’re taking a look back at over 60 of the biggest new 2021 Birmingham restaurants, bars and breweries. Scroll on so you never have to ask “Where should we eat?” again.
- Cinderella Story | Okay, so this golf simulator isn’t technically a place to eat or drink, but it’s super easy to grab a brew from Avondale Brewing and sip as you putt.
- Ferus on 41st | We miss Fancy’s on Fifth, but Ferus on 41st has quickly become a local favorite with Ferus’s popular brews and a delicious menu.
- Sons Donuts | The owners of Big Spoon Creamery and Steel City Pops created one of our favorite 2021 Birmingham openings that serves mini donuts with unique sugar dustings and handcrafted sauces.
- Adventurer’s Coffee Co. | This Alabaster-based coffee roaster opened a second location inside the CreACTive Wellness Center so you can grab coffee and lunch items.
- Beulah Mae’s Southern Kitchen | A beloved Alabaster food truck officially opened their brick and mortar café to serve Southern favorites like fried catfish, yams, okra and more.
- Boho Tea Bar | This new drink spot serves boba tea, lemonades, pastries and acaí bowls.
- The Copper Train | This coffee spot is open in Alabaster and has delicious coffee, breakfast and lunch on the menu.
Downtown + Parkside
- Aviné | Birminghamians love a wine bar, and this 2021 downtown opening is a favorite recommendation if you’re looking for tasty bites and sips.
- Broad Street Peaux Boys & Nola Ice | The New Orleans-inspired food truck opened their first brick and mortar at The Pizitz Food Hall.
- Cassanova Bar & Lounge | Former Auburn and NFL player opened a brand new bar on First Avenue North with unique cocktails and Instagrammable decor.
- Crestline Bagel Co. | This delish bagel company opened a Downtown location in Innovation Depot, in addition to their Mountain Brook spot.
- Eterna Pizzeria | This Parkside pizzeria serves up fresh pizza with ovens imported from Italy.
- The Fennec | One of the newest (and most anticipated) 2021 Birmingham restaurants, The Fennec is an amazing venue with tons of activity every night, along with a full bar and menu of tasty items.
- Neon Moon | From the owners of Queen’s Park, Neon Moon is a neighborhood cocktail bar that specializes in unique drinks, country tunes and a great time. My personal recommendation: the Kentucky Iced Coffee.
- Pizza Grace | Pizza Grace is one of the amazing tenants in Mercantile on Morris, and it’s a Bham Now favorite thanks to the delicious pizzas and salads.
- Rock N Roll Sushi | The third Birmingham location of Rock N Roll Sushi is located next to the Downtown Publix.
- Ensley Food Truck Park | A new food truck park opened in Ensley to serve as a central location for favorite food trucks and live music.
Five Points South
- Eighty Eight | This upscale piano bar is the perfect spot to spend your evenings in Five Points.
- Underground Vegan | The popular vegan food truck opened their vegan brick-and-mortar location on Magnolia Avenue.
Forest Park + Highland Park
- Last Call Baking | This was one of my favorite new 2021 Birmingham openings, and the amount of photos of cake on my camera roll proves it. Last Call Baking began serving their delicious baked goods outside of General in Forest Park—PS: stay tuend for their upcoming storefront in 2022.
- Red or White | Red or White was already a Birmingham favorite, and in 2021, they expanded their offerings to include food. I’m drooling just thinking of their wood-fired pizza.
Homewood + Lakeshore Parkway
- Buka | From the team behind Woodlawn Cycle Cafe, Buka is a neighborhood wine shop, market and cafe.
- Edgar’s Bakery | Another recent Homewood opening, Edgar’s Bakery has multiple locations throughout Birmingham so you can get your sweet tooth fix.
- Ironwood Kitchen & Cocktails | This delicious dining and cocktail space is located inside the brand NEW Homewood hotel, The Valley.
- Rodney Scott’s BBQ | Rodney Scott’s BBQ opened a new location in Homewood (their second in Birmingham) to make it even easier to get their popular ribs and barbecue.
- Sorelle Café | Homewood is full of bakeries serving up tasty sweets, and Sorelle Café is no exception. This new 2021 Birmingham restaurant offers everything from muffins to chicken and dumplings.
- The Electric | This locally-owned spot was one of our audience’s favorite new 2021 Birmingham restaurants serving a menu of soups, salads and sandwiches along with a full bar opened in Bluff Park.
- FAB Fruit | A locally-owned smoothie and acai bowl storefront opened in the former SMOOSH location in Stadium Trace Village.
- Kaffeeplās | Need coffee while you browse the shops. atthe Riverchase Galleria? Kaffeeplās is now open and serves coffees inspired by historic Viennese coffee shops.
- Taproot Café | Former NFL player opened Taproot Cafe to provide healthy food options with fresh, local ingredients.
- Walk On’s Sports Bistreaux | The popular Cajun chain opened a new location in Stadium Trace Village with menu items like burgers, seafood, soups, poboys and tacos.
- Whiskey Foxtrot Burger Dive | There’s no shortage of burgers in Hoover, including one of the new 2021 Birmingham restaurants—Whiskey Foxtrot.
Lakeview + Pepper Place
- BLUEROOT | BLUEROOT opened a flagship location in Pepper Place to bring healthy, fast food options, like Bham Nower Tira’s favorite “Not Your Mama’s Rice Crispy Treats”.
- UMAMI | From the owners of Nori Thai and Sushi and Shiki, UMAMI replaced Babalu in Lakeview and serves fun sushi combinations.
Lee Branch + Highway 280
- Kamali Creole Kitchen | Ready for more Cajun food? This new 2021 Birmingham restaurant in Lee Branch includes classic Creole dishes like Po’Boys and specialty drinks.
- Rickey J’s Bakery | This family-owned business opened their bakery to make it even easier to buy their popular cakes and cookies.
- Ruby Sunshine | Ruby Sunshine’s second location in Brook Highland is already a team favorite—check out their savory and sweet breakfast options and drinks. My recommendation? Their breakfast tacos and a Ruby Mimosa.
- ChopNFresh | This popular new 2021 Birmingham restaurant opened in Lane Park for fans who are already raving about their salads. Bham Nower Gabby went to the grand opening and recommends the Strawberry Bae.
- Coffee Shop at Vino | English Village’s newest coffee shop is located inside Vino and serves coffee roasted by Amavida Coffee Roasters.
- Slim’s Pizzeria | Check out this pizzeria in Birmingham’s Crestline neighborhood on Church Street.
- Creekside BBQ | This new barbecue spot is open near Oak Mountain Ampitheater and has options like Carolina-style pork and Memphis-style dry rub ribs.
- Frida Kahlo Modern Mexican Cuisine | This modern Mexican restaurant opened in December of 2021, and it’s already on my list of restaurants to visit in 2022 with options like a veggie tostada loaded up with all the good stuff.
- Oak Mountain Brewing Company | A new taproom on the Birmingham brewery scene, OMBC serves local and regional craft beers.
- Cook Out | The popular fast food spot opened a second Birmingham location just blocks from UAB.
- EDEN Lounge | A new upscale bar and lounge serving signature cocktails opened near 20 Midtown from the owner of the Sahani food truck.
The Summit + Vestavia
- The Backyard Market | This new farm-to-table restaurant has. alarge menu with grab-and-go options and favorites like burgers, wings and cheese boards.
- Chick-fil–A | The new Cahaba Heights Chick-fil-A opened in November 2021, bringing their popular menu (and new jobs) to Vestavia Hills.
- Chopt Creative Salad Co. | Chopt opened their first Birmingham location at The Summit and their second in the Vestavia City Center.
- O’Henry’s Coffee | The popular Birmingham coffee shop expanded and moved to a spot in the Patchwork Farms shopping Center, joining their growing list of locations.
- North Italia | This Italian restaurant opened in The Summit and is a great spot to start your Sunday with brunch before shopping.
- Taco Mama | Taco Mama, a popular franchise with build-your-own Tex-Mex cuisine, opened a new Birmingham location in the Vestavia City Center.
- Unless U Scoops | This Vestavia Hills ice cream shop is run by students with developmental disabilities to foster inclusivity.
- Imperio Steakhouse & Grill | Imperio Steakhouse & Grill constantly refreshes their menu with daily specials ranging from fish tacos to steak.
- Mexicali Blues | This upscale Mexican restaurant in the Trussville Entertainment District has a fun atmosphere.
- Pinchgut Pies | You can never have to much pizza, and according to Bham Nower Patience, Pinchgut has pizza that’s perfectly crispy.
- Wing It On! | The Trussville opening serves wings in flavors from hot to honey BBQ. Bham Now photographer Jacob raved about his order.
- Uptown Cantina | Uptown Cantina was one of my favorite new 2021 Birmingham restaurants thanks to their has tasty tacos and drinks, along with an Instagrammable location that includes a rooftop view of Protective Stadium.
PLUS—new food trucks
- Battle Axe’s Feast | This is one of Birmingham’s newest food trucks, and they serve comforting and filling items like burgers and their popular Peachy Queen Crumble.
- Beignets and Lattes | Helena’s Beignets and Lattes took their amazing beignets on the go in 2021 by bringing a food truck to the mix.
- Cousins Maine Lobster | No need to leave Birmingham for Maine-style lobster, thanks to the Shark Tank favorite food truck that landed in Birmingham.
- The Current at Cahaba Brewing Co. | Cahaba Brewing Co. opened their own food truck with menu items like burgers, bratwurst dogs, wings and more.
- Golden Boy Pizza | Clearly, 2021’s been a good year for pizza in Birmingham. This food truck has been a favorite of multiple Bham Now team members this year, thanks to their golden crusts and adorable mascot.
- Not Ya Average Leaf | Birmingham’s vegan offerings are growing, and this food truck makes it even easier to get tasty vegan items.
- Travelin’ Tom’s Coffee Truck | The local coffee scene keeps growing thanks to new coffee food trucks, like this one with all the menu items you’d expect in a café.
- Uncle G’s Pizza | Uncle G’s Pizza prides itself on being Birmingham’s only Detroit-style pizza food truck, located in Pelham.
- Whole Latte Drip | Coffee on the go? Yes, please. This food truck offers coffee and tea so you can always get your caffeine fix.
What was your FAVORITE new 2021 Birmingham restaurant opening? We know there are even more, so shout out your faves by tagging us @BhamNow on social or emailing email@example.com.