The new Birmingham restaurants and bars that opened in 2022 were nothing short of exciting. If you’re wondering where you should go to eat or drink in The Magic City, we bet these places will be your new go-to spots.
- Chino’s Taco Stop | They’re nailing Mexican classics like tortas and burritos, plus, specialties like their lobster quesadilla.
- Parkside on Fifth | This new bar offers delectable dishes, all your favorite drinks and even specialty cocktails on draft.
- Munchie’s on 5th | A gas station can be the hottest spot for food, drinks, live music and the occasional mechanical bull.
- The Goose | It’s amazing to be in the great outdoors at this Avondale sports bar with yummy food, outdoor seating, cornhole games and TVs.
- Biscuit Love | This Tennessee-based brunch spot made Alabama its home sweet home with this new Cahaba Heights location.
- Cajun Steamer | There’s no need to head down to NOLA to chow down on delicious cajun food, Cajun Steamer’s serving it right here in The Magic City.
- Local Roots | This Tuscaloosa favorite is taking fast casual to a whole new level with their Grandaddy fries—their signature, fan-fave fries that comes from a third-generation family recipe.
Downtown + Parkside
Adiõs (Ashton Johnson & Emily Dixon) | Bar la Fête (Sabrina Palmer / Bham Now)
- Adiõs | Tequila lovers, there’s never been a place that’s more for you—this bar is the definition of authentic.
- Bandit Pâtisserie | Say yes to warm, flaky croissants and colorful macarons paired with a steaming latte.
- Bar la Fête | Kristen Hall and Victor King, The Essential and Bandit Pâtisserie owners, opened this classy wine bar in Mercantile on Morris, transporting us to France.
- Encore Rouge | This popular food truck opened its first brick-and-mortar location this year, serving Cajun-inspired gourmet food.
- Frothy Monkey | With scrumptious food, warm pastries, Wine Wednesday deals and, of course, coffee, this long-awaited spot is finally open downtown.
- June Coffee | After collaborating with different coffee shops and local businesses, this roaster now has its own storefront.
- Karam’s Restaurant | This spot is the triple threat—they have fresh Mediterranean dishes, American classics and tasty treats.
- Last Call Baking Co. | Served for years at local eateries, you can stop by this brick-and-mortar store for these mouth-watering baked goods.
- Prevail Coffee | Grap a cup of coffee from this popular coffee spot in the Shipt Tower.
Tasty Town (Jacob Blankenship / Bham Now) | The House of Found Objects (Nathan Watson / Bham Now)
- Tasty Town | All of the Mediterranean dishes here are to die for, but especially the chargrilled eggplant hummus.
- Tina and Gina’s Sandwich Shoppe | This New York-style deli in The Pizitz Food Hall has classics like an Italian sub and pastrami.
- Tha Vibe Bar and Lounge | The vibes are immaculate at this bar with unbeatable deals and a happy hour lasting from 5-9PM.
- The House of Found Objects | The Atomic’s owner is back with the opening of this eclectic bar, bringing back the iconic “Legendary Sex Panther” cocktail.
Five Points South
- Continental Drift | Eric Bennett and John Easterling, owners of the Drift Kitchen food truck, brought a fun cocktail bar to Birmingham’s Southside.
- The Crab Barrack | If you are looking for Low Country seafood to fill up on, this is your spot with snow crab legs, mussels, lobster, shrimp, clams and more.
- Biryani Bowl | This place on Green Springs Highway is serving up fresh Indian food, including the fan-fave Paneer Butter Masala.
- Daily Edition | This coffee spot serves top-notch espresso beverages and is an aesthetically pleasing shop with fashion magazines lining the walls.
- SanPeggio’s Pizza | There’s more than pizza here—you can also chow down on calzones, baked pasta and subs.
- Santos Coffee | Get your caffeine fix here and munch on a delicious sandwich or sweet crepe.
- Tacos Don Tacho #2 | This Homewood spot has a bit of everything, including authentic Mexican food, homemade ice cream, margaritas and beer.
- The Battery | This sophisticated Southern kitchen and bar’s executive chef is Jeff Compton, a finalist in Food Network’s “Vegas Chef Prizefight.”
- Brock’s Gap Brewing Co. | With tasty beer, a rotating food truck and an outdoor space to host events, this spot is “cheers” worthy.
- Jambo Grill | Serving up African, Caribbean and American classics, there’s something on the menu for everyone.
- Mr. Chen’s | Chinese food is one of my go-to’s and this place is serving up some of the best. My order is always the sesame chicken.
- Saw’s Soul Kitchen | We love Saw’s BBQ, especially the iconic white sauce and pulled pork sandwiches, and now Hoover gets a taste of the goodness.
Lakeview + Pepper Place
- Hi-Wire Brewing | With beers on tap, neon artwork, games, TVs, an outdoor seating space and more fun, this is a go-to spot to hang out with friends.
Lee Branch + Highway 280
- American Kolache | Owned by Chad Slade, a former Auburn football and NFL player, this spot has baked goods, sweet & savory kolaches and hot coffee to pair.
- Guthrie’s Chicken | Serving delicious fried chicken and fries, this spot is a Bham fan-fave. Be sure to get extra sauce—it’s simply the best.
- Clean Juice | Get your healthy game on by grabbing a smoothie at this spot and then taking a walk at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens nearby.
- Crumbl Cookies | With over 200 flavors that rotate each week, you’ll find a warm, freshly-baked cookie to go perfectly with your glass of milk.
- Hello Bakery | If you love fresh pastries and homemade small-batch ice cream, this should be your new go-to spot in Crestline Gardens.
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams | There’s sweetness galore at this ice cream spot in Lane Parke. You have to try their Gooey Butter Cake flavor ASAP.
- Real & Rosemary | With garden fresh vegetable sides and delicious proteins, this beautiful restaurant is perfect for lunch and dinner with your gal pals.
- Santos Coffee | Start your morning off right with a cup of coffee at this other new location—the blends are hand-selected from roasters around the world.
- Sons Donuts | We absolutely love these mini doughnuts and the full coffee bar. Is there a better combo than a doughnut and coffee?
- Half Shell Oyster House | Seafood lovers, this spot has all of the best, including oysters (duh), shrimp and grits and crab cakes.
- Mama Suz’s Fried Pies | This mother and son duo are baking some of the most delectable, flaky fried pies with both sweet and savory flavors.
The Summit + Vestavia
- Chopt | A salad is never boring at Chopt. This healthy place has fresh, flavorful ingredients for their salads and warm bowls.
- Davenport’s Pizza Palace | You can eat pizza, play classic video games like Ms. Pacman and watch football at this family-owned restaurant.
- Mama Coco Cantina & Grill | Pair a cheesy enchilada or loaded burrito with a margarita for the perfect dinner.
- Teaspoon | Starting with a base of handcrafted boba tea, you can create your own yummy drink and try out their signature drinks like strawberry sangria.
- Bendy’s Cookies and Ice Cream | There’s no need to decide between a cookie or ice cream when you can have both.
- Hero Dougnuts | Your sweet tooth will love this spot. We recommend the cereal milk donut.
- Ironstone Pizza | Brian Kemp, the owner of Kemp’s Kitchen and Alpha Charlie Grill, took over this Neapolitan Pizza spot and added a few surprises.
- Mr. West’s | This fast-casual restaurant is serving elevated dishes like pork gyozas with a house sauce, green onions and fried garlic.
- Red Bird’s Deli | This mouth-watering lunch spot has homemade soups, salads, sandwiches and delicious handmade sweets.
- Rodney Scott’s BBQ | We love BBQ in the south and this spot has some of the best. You need to try their famous Whole Hog Pork Sandwich.
- A-Train Station | This Birmingham favorite food truck opened its brick-and-mortar restaurant, serving up loaded fries, Philly cheesesteaks and wings.
- Slutty Vegan | If you want American classics like a burger and fries, but without the meat, this Atlanta-based vegan spot is for you.
- Woodlawn Bar and Lounge | Sip on a classy cocktail at this bar owned and operated by Birmingham firefighter Corey Whatley and his team, Quincy Coleman and Byron Watkins.
- Uptown Jazz Lounge | Enjoy the sounds of smooth jazz as you sip on beer, wine and craft cocktails.
PLUS—new food trucks
- Alabama Peanut Co.’s Peanut Truck | Alabama Peanut Co.’s boiled and roasted peanuts are to die for and now they’re rolling around town in a truck designed by Yellowhammer Creative.
- Los Bomberos Coffee Trailer | This local roaster is a firefighter-owned-and-operated business that’s taking caffeine to another level with its coffee truck.
- Mikey’s Grill on Wheels | This Hoover seafood spot is driving around town on wheels bringing its delicious catfish and gumbo to you.
- Rickshaw Bham | This food truck is bringing Asian-inspired street food to The Magic City. Don’t want to eat meat? They have something for everyone with a menu filled with plant-based items.
- Sahani Bham | Bringing Kenyan flavors to Bham, this food truck has all kinds of Kenyan fare incorporated with some of the classics.
Are you in Huntsville? Check out the city’s biggest openings of 2022.