A new bar has quietly opened in Avondale, and we got a special sneak peek. We spoke with owner Tim Burt to learn more about Avondale’s new bar—Parkside on Fifth.
Parkside returns to Avondale (kind of)
Let’s clear up some understandable confusion right off the bat. Parkside on Fifth is NOT the same bar as the building’s previous occupant, Parkside Cafe. Parkside Cafe—which opened in the space in 2009—officially closed its doors last year, when the building owner decided not to renew Parkside Cafe’s lease.
Now, the building’s owner—Tim Burt—is bringing his own vision for Parkside to life.
Meet owner Tim Burt
Parkside on Fifth owner Tim Burt is a long-time supporter of Avondale. In 1999, while driving along Fifth Avenue South to the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Airport, Tim noticed a condemned building across the street from Avondale Park.
“I saw this condemned building and it really struck a chord with me. It was in really bad shape—you could see the sky from inside the building. Pigeons were flying around inside. I tracked down the owner, bought the building and moved to a little house in Avondale while I began fixing this building up. A year later, I opened my interior design business here, Parkside Home & Garden.
This is the only building in Avondale that I currently own, but I really think it’s the gem of Avondale. It was originally the Avondale Marble Works showroom, and it’s one of the oldest buildings in Avondale—the plaque says it was built in 1905, but it was really built in 1890.”Tim Burt
In the late 2000s, Tim closed the Avondale location of Parkside Home & Garden, leased the space to the Parkside Cafe and moved to Mobile. However, during the pandemic, Tim decided it was time to try something new.
“The Parkside Cafe’s lease was coming up, and I decided not to renew it for several reasons. But it was time for a change for everybody. I wanted to give the bar and restaurant my vision and my aesthetic—and here we are.”Tim Burt
What’s new at Parkside on Fifth?
Although Parkside on Fifth is undeniably different than its predecessor, you’ll find many of the elements of the Parkside experience familiar. Tim says it best.
“Inside the main bar area, we’ve just made things a bit more comfortable and kicked it up a notch. The inside of the bar has a ‘date night’ feel to it now. When you walk out outside, the only thing that’s really changed is the furniture. I think it’s the best patio in Birmingham. I worked with a local business, Summer Classics in Pelham, to furnish the outside. But it still has that edge—the back bar was always the cool hangout space, so we kept it that way. Parkside on Fifth will be an elevated, but familiar, experience.”Tim Burt
Delicious food & drink you’ll find at Parkside on Fifth
“One thing that makes Parkside on Fifth unique is that we serve our speciality cocktails on draft. I worked with a local consultant who’s nationally known, Steva Casey, to develop our recipes that we serve on draft—all of these syrups are made by hand with fresh ingredients. And of course we have our craft cocktails that will be made in front of you.”Tim Burt
- Draft Cocktails ($10 each)
- Cucumber Vodka Gimlet – vodka, cucumber, simple syrup, lime
- Mojito – rum, lime, mint syrup, frest mint, soda
- Paloma – tequila, agave, fresh grapefruit, soda
- Pimm’s Cup – Pimm’s No. 1, gin, lemon syrup, fresh lemon, soda
- Espresso Martini – vodka, Dickel Rye, chicory, Domestique cold brew
- Craft Cocktails ($12 each)
- The Whitney – vodka, mama, hibiscus syrup, lime
- The Met – gin, banal, honey syrup, grapefruit, white pepper
- The High – bourbon, banana, lemon, coffee syrup, coconut
- The Getty – gin, aperol, dolin blanc
- Old Fashioned – bourbon, simple syrup, bitters, orange peel
In addition to their cocktails, Parkside on Fifth will offer a number domestic, craft and imported beers as well as draft wine, non-alcoholic cocktails and even a few sodas. Now, let’s talk food!
Regulars of the former Parkside Cafe will be thrilled to learn that hotbox, the beloved Asian fusion food truck—or food trailer, rather—will be returning to Parkside on Fifth, and that’s not all. hotbox owners Ed Stacy and Ryan Champion will be taking charge of Parkside on Fifth’s entire menu, which includes:
- Bar Snacks: salt & vinegar fried chickpeas — old bay shrimp chips — truffle honey peanuts — Spanish olives (with pits)
- Cheese & Bread: chef’s choice of 3 artisan cheeses, locally made salami n’duma, grilled bread, seasonal accoutrements
- Spring Pea Hummus – steamed spring peas, tahini, roasted garlic, fresh jalapeño, black sesame seeds, crispy wonton chips
- Patatas Bravas – twice fried baby gold potatoes, caramelized onions, tomato, garlic aioli, parsley, fresh cheese, sea salt
- Crispy Eggplant – young eggplant, crunchy garlic, roasted sesame seeds, green onion, white truffle honey, salsa macha
- Arugula Salad – feelers bacon lardons, roasted sunflower seeds, feta, cherry tomatos, steen’s cane vinaigrette, crunchy bread
- Seafood Ceviche – bayou la batre shrimp, crawfish, avocado, lime, jalapeño, red onion, crispy tortilla, leche de tigre
- Lamb Meatballs – locally made lamb merge, harissa, roasted garlic, feta cheese, sauce romesco, fresh herbs, grilled bread
- Parkside Burger – seared creekstone beef, fontina cheese, grilled onions, baby arugula, roasted tomato jam, patatas bravas
- Curry Fried Chicken – lightly battered springer man chicken, red curry, dry chilis, crushed peanuts, cilantro, steamed rice
- Mushrooms a la Plancha – seared wild mushrooms, crisply leek risotto cake, caramelized onions, baby bok choy, romesco
- Pork Cheeks – roasted feelers duroc pork, baby arugula, mixed olives, roasted garlic, shaved grand padano, grilled bread
“One thing we’ve added that has never been done before at Parkside is desserts! We wanted to have something to offer for people who may have gone out to dinner but aren’t ready to turn in for the night. Come to Parkside, try a decadent dessert and our Espresso Martini and hang out!”Tim Burt
- Chocolate Cake – warm bittersweet chocolate brownie, housemade semifreddo, triple caramel, honey roasted nuts
- Apple Wontons – brown butter braised Granny Smith apples, toasted cardamom, bourbon vanilla glaze, crisply wonton
- Fruit Tartlet – chef’s seasonal selection of farmer’s market berries, fruits, assorted toppings
Making plans to visit Parkside on Fifth?
- Parkside on Fifth: Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 4036 5th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: Closed Monday & Tuesday | Wednesday and Thursday, 3PM to Midnight | Friday and Saturday, 3PM to 2AM | Sunday Brunch, 11AM to 5PM
Parkside on Fifth is officially open for business, so be sure to visit and enjoy the new, elevated experience!
Be sure to tag @bhamnow on Instagram with your favorite pics from your visit to Parkside on Fifth!