Are you wondering what you should do this weekend? Here are insider tips for a day—from morning coffee to sunset views—in the quaint Hoover neighborhood of Bluff Park.
1. Morning coffee at Wild Roast Cafe
Of course, we’re starting off the day right with a cup of coffee at Wild Roast Cafe. Call me basic, but I usually go for a classic caramel latte. If you’re feeling like sipping on a flavorful cup of coffee, check out Wild Roast’s signature and seasonal lattes and frozen frappes. They also have tasty bites—from bagels to avocado toast—to fill you up and get you going.
- Location: 585 Shades Crest Rd, Hoover, AL 35226
- Hours: Monday-Friday 7AM-5PM | Saturday 8AM-5PM | Sunday 10AM-5PM
- Website | Facebook | Instagram
2. Mid-morning walk at Moss Rock Preserve
An escape from the hustle and bustle, Moss Rock Preserve is one of my favorite spots to relax on a Saturday morning and is just minutes away from Bluff Park. Sure, trekking along the dirt paths is a workout, but the stunning views and being surrounded by Bham nature makes it a peaceful way to start your day. We have a hot (literally) minute until fall. Once the leaves turn to hues of red and orange, there’s no better place in Birmingham for a fall view.
3. Lunch at Mr. P’s Butcher Shop & Deli
Since it’s over four decades old, you know you have to stop by this classic deli in town. From Italian subs to a classic Americana burger, you won’t leave Mr. P’s Deli hungry. Plus, they have local beers available, including Avondale Brewing Company, Good People Brewing Company and TrimTab.
4. Antique shopping at Shades Mall Mercantile
Recently, one of my friends took me to this antique shop in Bluff Park and you won’t even guess how long we stayed (hint…it was too long). I think it’s fair to call Shades Mall Mercantile a superstore version of an antique store. With so many options of furniture, decor, accessories and much more, we can’t wait to see what deals you score.
- Location: 770 Shades Mountain Plaza, Hoover, AL 35226
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 10AM-5:30PM | Sunday 1-5:30PM
5. Afternoon exploration around the historic districts
There are some deep roots in Bluff Park. With buildings dating all the way back to the late 1800s, drive on Park Avenue and Shades Crest Road to some of the first places in town, including:
- 1889 Overseer’s House
- This house used to be the home to the manager of the A. B. Howell Peach Orchard and farm.
- 1923 Bluff Park Elementary School
- Starting as a one-room schoolhouse, 50 students learned here back in the day.
- 1924 Independent Presbyterian Church Children’s Fresh Air Farm
- For almost 100 years, Independent Presbyterian Church has been helping children and families through its programs.
- 1947 Hoover Randle House
- Built in 1947 by the City of Hoover’s founder, William H. Hoover. Today, it’s a wedding and event center.
6. Dinner at The Electric
Colorful and eclectic, you can chow down on a sandwich and play pinball at The Electric. There are so many yummy options on the menu. When in doubt, order owner Ben Smith’s favorite, the T.G. sandwich—pepperoni, ham, swiss, family slaw and garlic mayo on a potato roll—named after his dad, Timothy Gary. Also, you have to try out one of their fun and creative cocktails.
- Location: 146 Tyler Rd Suite 212, Hoover, AL 35226
- Hours: Tuesday-Sunday 11AM-9PM
- Website | Facebook | Instagram
7. Sweet treat at Bluff Park Ice Cream Shoppe
Cute, quaint and oh so sweet—satisfy your sweet tooth at Bluff Park Ice Cream Shoppe. With over 100 flavors of classic favorites to seasonal flavors, you’ll want more than one scoop.
8. Sunset at the top of the mountain
After you get a cold treat, head down the road for the most stunning sunset view. It’s not uncommon to find locals sitting on a blanket or in chairs near the fire station in town. It’s right next to Lover’s Leap—a fan fav view of limestone boulders on Shades Crest Road and over the valley. Plus, you’ll have to be filled in on the legend and history of Lover’s Leap, which was once a nineteenth-century resort.
- Location: 588 Park Ave, Hoover, AL 35226
Did we miss your favorite Bluff Park spot? Tag us @BhamNow on social to let us know!