Read Time 8 Minutes
Whether you’re a local or a Birmingham transplant (✋ guilty), it’s common knowledge that The Magic City’s craft beer scene can’t be beat. In fact, Birmingham’s beer scene made it on to Thrillist’s 13 U.S. Destinations That Are Secretly Hiding Incredible Beer Scenes, and it’s easy to see why.
If you’re planning at night out visiting one (or all!) of these Birmingham-area breweries, be sure to choose a designated driver or download a ride-sharing app, just as Uber, Lyft or Via, beforehand!
1. Avondale Brewing Company
- Most popular: Miss Fancy’s Tripel | 9.2% ABV | This strong Belgian golden ale honors Miss Fancy, a beloved elephant at Birmingham’s first zoo known for her penchant for alcoholic beverages
- Author’s recommendation: Sour Pash | 4.2% ABV | A hazy, tart, fruit filled sour that is satisfying & refreshing
Looking to enjoy a refreshing beer while listening to live music? Avondale Brewing Company is the place to be! Avondale Brewing’s spacious campus includes an indoor taproom and a backyard patio, complete with its own bar and an event stage!
- Contact: 205.203.4546 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 201 41st St S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: Sunday-Wednesday 12-10PM | Thursday 12-11PM | Friday-Saturday 12PM-12AM
2. Back Forty Beer Company Birmingham
Most Popular: Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale | 6% ABV | A medium-bodied English brown ale brewed with Alabama Wildflower Honey, roasted malts and fresh hops.
A relatively new addition to Birmingham’s brewery scene, Back Forty Birmingham is a very popular brewpub, known for refreshing brews and delicious food. At this award-winning microbrewery, you’ll find an expansive patio, a full-service pub kitchen and all the local beers you could imagine!
“At Back Forty Birmingham, we follow a hyper-local focus with multiple new [beer] releases per month. We maintain 16-26 beers on tap, with seven of these being consistent core beers. The remainder are new and/or rotating seasonals, only available at our location.”Douglas Brown, Owner & CEO, Back Forty Birmingham
- Contact: 205.407.8025 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 3201 1st Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: Monday, Wednesday-Thursday 11AM-9PM; Friday-Saturday 11AM-10PM; Sunday, 11AM-8PM
3. Birmingham District Brewing Company
Most Popular: Lose Your Way | 6.5% ABV | This tropical IPA is a hit, with it’s refreshing notes of mango, pineapple, and melon.
Located in The Battery, this Birmingham microbrewery is the perfect place to visit while enjoying Birmingham’s warm weather. Take a look at their menu, because many of their brews are named for Birmingham’s mining heritage. And don’t forget to stop by Wasabi Juan’s or Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken for a snack!
- Contact: 205.202.5779 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 2201 2nd Ave S #102, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 12-10PM | Friday 12PM-12AM | Saturday 11AM-12AM
4. Cahaba Brewing Company
Most Popular: Cahaba Blonde | 5.2% ABV | This light-bodied, refreshing ale is perfect for a lazy Alabama afternoon.
Located in the historic Continental Gin Building, Cahaba Brewing Company is perfect for events both small and large. Inside the new 6,000 square-foot taproom, you’ll find a pinball machines, ski-ball tables, board games and more. Don’t forget to visit their outdoor patio!
Fun Fact: The Cahaba Brewing Taproom sold over 10,000 pints of beer in August! And that’s not all—Cahaba Brewing continues to donate proceeds from can sales of DD’s Cherry Hibiscus Sour to the BCRFA (Breast Cancer Research Foundation of Alabama) and proceeds of Lager cans to the Cahaba River Society.
- Contact: 205.578.2616 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 4500 5th Ave S, Birmingham
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 3-10PM; Friday-Saturday 12-10PM; Sunday 12-8PM
5. Ferus Artisan Ales
Most Popular: American IPA | 7% ABV | If you love citrus hop aromas, subtle bitterness and a soft mouthfeel from oats and wheat, this IPA is for you!
Serving up everything from sandwiches, snacks, IPAs and creative sours, Ferus Artisan Ales made a big splash when they opened at Trussville’s Entertainment District. Although Trussville isn’t that far away, we’ve got great news for Birminghamians who want to stick close to home. Ferus Artisan Ales is opening a new taproom—Ferus on 41st—in the former Fancy’s on Fifth location in Avondale!
- Contact: 205.508.3001 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 101 Beech Street, Trussville, AL 35173
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 11AM-10PM | Friday-Saturday 11AM-10PM | Sunday 11AM-9PM
6. Ghost Train Brewing Co.
Most Popular: Kaleidoscope Kettle Sour | 4.9% ABV | This tart & refreshing Kettle Sour ale is fermented on heaps of wild berries.
Catch live music and more at Ghost Train Brewing, located along 3rd Avenue South. This popular brewery recently renovated their outdoor setup, complete with open shipping containers & a stage for live music—and that’s not all. Before the end of the year, Ghost Train will open their 2nd Birmingham location at M2, and we can’t wait to see what they have in store!
- Contact: 205.201.5817 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 2616 3rd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Hours: Monday-Wednesday 12-10PM | Thursday-Saturday 12PM-12AM | Sunday 12-8PM
7. Good People Brewing Company
Most Popular: Muchacho | 4.80% ABV | A crisp, easy drinkin’ Mexican-style lager
With their “Drink Great Beer. Be Good People.” slogan, Good People Brewing is one of the originals in the Birmingham craft brewery scene. Good People is a beloved staple in Parkside, and you’ll always find a crowd—especially during games at Regions Field!
Fun fact: Good People Brewing brews roughly 1,700 barrels of their unique brews each month!
- Contact: 205.286.2337 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 114 14th St S Birmingham, AL 35233
- Hours: Monday-Wednesday 12-10PM | Thursday-Saturday 12PM-12AM | Sunday 12-8PM
8. Monday Night Social Club
- Most Popular: Blind Pirate | 7.4% ABV | Each pour of this citrus-y IPA contains bits of real blood orange, so you know it’s good!
- Author’s Recommendation: Dr. Robot | 5% ABV | This Blackberry Lemon Sour is tart, playful and refreshing!
One of the newest additions to the Birmingham brewery scene, Monday Night Social Club is the first Alabama location of Atlanta’s Monday Night Brewing Company. Inside this full-service brewpub you’ll find delicious beers, wines and cocktails. Plus, their breakfast burrito was recently named “Best in the World” by Far & Wide!
- Contacts: 205.444.1429 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 14 12th St S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Hours: Monday-Wednesday 4-10PM | Thursday 11AM-10PM | Friday-Saturday 11AM-12AM | Sunday 11AM-10PM
9. Oak Mountain Brewing Company
Located in Pelham, Oak Mountain Brewing Company first opened their taproom’s doors early this year. You’ll find Oak Mountain Amphitheater right around the corner, so make plans to stop by this microbrewery before your next concert!
- Contact: 205.994.6544 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 110 Cahaba Valley Rd, Pelham, AL 35124
- Hours: Monday-Wednesday 4-10PM | Thursday 3-11PM | Friday 2PM-12AM | Saturday 12 PM-12 AM | Sunday 12-9PM
10. Oversoul Brewing
Most Popular: Oversoul House IPA | 7.9% ABV
Overlooking Helena Park and Buck Creek, Oversoul Brewing is a beloved addition to Old Town Helena. This locally-owned small batch brewery is focused on making the freshest beers around—and judging by their rave reviews, Oversoul Brewing is doing something right!
- Contact: 205.999.6444 | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 4161 Helena Rd, Helena, AL 35080
- Hours: Wednesday 5PM-9PM | Thursday-Friday 5PM-10PM | Saturday 1PM-10PM | Sunday 1PM-6PM
11. Siluria Brewing Company
- Most Popular:
- Boxcar Blonde | 5% ABV | An American-style Blonde that pours bright and clear with a clean malt profile and medium hop bitterness.
- Lady Grace Pomegranate Wheat | 5.3% ABV | A slightly sweet American wheat ale brewed with hibiscus and pomegranate.
Located in the former Alabaster Post Office on 1st Avenue West, Siluria Brewing Company aims to provide the community of Alabaster with its own craft beer joint. With playful artisan beers like the Boxcar Blonde and Lady Grace Pomegranate Wheat, Siluria Brewing Company is fun for all!
Be sure to try two of Siluria Brewing Company’s newest beers, the Oktoberfest and the 82k Black IPA!
Fun Fact: Siluria Brewing brewed over 15 barrels of beer in August!
- Contact: 205.624.3037 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 145 1st Avenue West, Alabaster, AL 35007
- Hours: Tuesday-Thursday 4PM-10PM | Friday 4PM-11PM | Saturday 3PM-11PM
12. Slag Heap Brewing Company
Most Popular: Sue’s Pale Ale | 6% ABV | A pale refreshing, lightly hopped ale with sufficient malt to provide balance.
A little over two years ago, the highly-anticipated Slag Heap Brewing Company officially opened in Trussville. With a seasonal rotation of beers on tap, Slag Heap is a family-friendly establishment—underage patrons can enjoy a delicious root beer instead!
- Contact: 205.537.1015 | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Address: 227 Main Street, Trussville, AL 35173
- Hours: Tuesday-Thursday 4PM-8PM | Friday 4PM-10PM | Saturday 3PM-10PM | Closed Sunday & Monday
13. The Grocery Brewpub
Most Popular: Aisle 22 IPA | 6.5% ABV | A hoppy, American-style IPA.
Located in downtown Homewood near Little Donkey, this “One Stop Brew Shop” features 24 rotating craft beers, wines, house-made cocktails and so much more. As a brewpub, you’ll love their delicious pub-style food with it’s distinctive Cajun seafood flare.
- Contact: 205.637.0990 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 2823 Central Avenue, Birmingham, AL 35209
- Hours: Monday-Wednesday 3PM-10PM | Thursday 3PM-12AM | Friday 2PM-2AM | Saturday 12PM-2AM | Sunday 12PM-10PM
14. Trim Tab Brewing Company
Most Popular: Paradise Now | 5.2% ABV | An award-winning, refreshing wheat ale brewed with raspberry and tart cherry puree
Named one of America’s Top 10 Breweries of 2019, Trim Tab is a popular stop for Birminghamians. In fact, I recently celebrated a birthday there! New, small-batch releases are available every Sunday only in their taproom—but be sure to get there early, because supplies of their small-batch brews are limited.
Fun Fact: Visit Trim Tab on Saturdays’s to try a “Freezee”, a beer-based slushee that changes every week!
- Contact: 205.374.8749 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 2721 5th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday 12-10PM | Friday-Saturday 12PM-12AM
15. True Story Brewing Company
Most Popular: Fabricator Double IPA | 8.3% ABV | This hoppy, flavorful IPA is distinguished by tasteful hints of grapefruit, tangerine and a bit of pine hop—with a strong caramel backbone.
Have you ever had a pickle sandwich? If not, you have to visit True Story Brewing Company in Crestwood Village. This cute microbrewery is the perfect stop after visiting Thank You Books or picking up antiques at Urban Suburban.
- Contact: 205.593.4144 | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 5510 Crestwood Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35212
- Hours: Tuesday-Thursday 11AM-10PM | Friday 11AM-11PM | Saturday 12-11PM | Sunday 12-10PM
What are you waiting for? Visit a Birmingham brewery today!
What’s your favorite beer to order at a Birmingham brewery? Tag us @bhamnow to let us know!