Read Time 2 Minutes
We’re gearing up to give this Tuesday, May 5, for #GivingTuesdayNow , a new day to give locally as a response to increased need due to COVID-19. Keep reading for ways to participate and give in Birmingham.
What is #GivingTuesdayNow? 🤲
According to the GivingTuesday site, “#GivingTuesdayNow is a new global day of giving and unity that will take place on May 5, 2020—in addition to the regularly scheduled Dec 1, 2020 #GivingTuesday—as an emergency response to the unprecedented need caused by COVID-19.”
This new event promotes giving locally and supporting local nonprofits, charities and businesses in your community right now.
How to Give in Birmingham ⤵️
Whether it’s picking up groceries for an elderly neighbor, volunteering with a local organization, or giving to the cause of your choice—the ways to give in Birmingham are plenty.
Here are some ideas + ways to give so we can all feel together, despite being apart.
Give to a Cause Close to Your Heart 💛
Not only is #GivingTuesdayNow a great way to show generosity and support for local organizations doing good in Birmingham, but it’s also a great way to connect with nonprofits and people who care about the causes you care about. Here are a couple of nonprofits to consider:
- Support local animal welfare nonprofits like the Birmingham Zoo.
- Give to local educational organizations like Mitchell’s Place.
- Support local arts + culture organizations like the Magic City Art Connection.
- Give to local health support services like Children’s Harbor.
Find 100+ Birmingham Nonprofits by Searching our Local Guide 📲
Birmingham is full of wonderful nonprofits with amazing missions. If you’re looking for more places to give, browse our Local Nonprofit Guide.
You can even search by categories including Animal Welfare, Religious/Faith, Environment, Art/Culture and more. Local nonprofits have inputted important info like how to get in touch and ways to give.
Are you a local nonprofit and want to add your information to our database? Sign up here—it’s totally free, and we can add you to future stories like this one.
Support Local Healthcare Heroes, Hospitality Workers and Small Businesses in Birmingham 👏
Multiple organizations have popped up around Birmingham over the past month to support local healthcare workers, our local service industry and small businesses. On #GivingTuesdayNow, consider donating or volunteering to show your gratitude. Here are a few ways to get involved:
- Tip a local service industry worker.
- Send meals to healthcare workers via BHM Cares or Frontline Foods.
- Buy a pair, give a pair of shoes to a local healthcare worker or first responder.
- Donate to BhamStrong to help small businesses in Birmingham.
- Give to the Great Grocery Give Back + more local food pantries.
Share Kindness + Something Positive With Neighbors ☀️
We know not everyone is in a place to volunteer or donate funds, but you can still participate in #GivingTuesdayNow. Simply leaving a positive message in chalk on your sidewalk, placing a picture of sunshine in your window, or leaving an encouraging note in a friend’s mailbox are just a few ways to send positivity to your neighbors and community.
Here are a few stories we’ve published lately that made us smile:
- Something stunning happened in Birmingham (PHOTOS + VIDEO)
- 12 Birmingham Instagramable animals to liven up your feed
- Ensley adds 6th mural on its way to become Alabama’s most colorful place
- 3 Birmingham stories that will put a smile on your face today
- Read this Birmingham 6th grader’s heart-warming “ode to essential workers”