Read Time 2 Minutes
If your income has fallen, you may be wondering how to get food in Birmingham. We put together a guide to local food pantries that can help during this unprecedented time, and we’ve got details on The Great Grocery Giveback for anyone who’s been furloughed or laid off due to COVID-19.
1. The quickest ways to get help now
To find the closest food pantry to you call 211 for the United Way’s referral number. You can also put your zip code into the Community Food Bank of Central Alabama’s food map and a number of places will come up. Make sure to call before you go to any location.
2. The Great Grocery Giveback is for anyone who’s been laid off or furloughed due to COVID-19
A few generous donors got together to find a way to help Birminghamians laid off or furloughed due to COVID-19. Here’s who’s behind the effort:
- Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- Sysco Corporation
- Young Professionals of Birmingham
- Stella Artois
- Campesino Rum
- Various sponsoring organizations
Visit The Great Grocery Giveback to see each week’s new grocery list.
Registration begins each week on Sunday at noon and ends the following Wednesday at 2PM unless “tickets” sell out beforehand. Look for notifications via email. It will notify you about the distribution locations and time for Friday pickups.
3. The Community Food Bank of Central Alabama has food and great info
Think of the Community Food Bank of Central Alabama as the distribution center for a number of other food pantries throughout the area. They provide food for over 200 partner agencies throughout the region.
Each month, they serve regular Mobile Pantry locations. For health reasons, these are now drive-through style. Here are the current locations for the Mobile Pantry:
- Tarrant Elementary: 1269 Portland St. Birmingham, AL 35217 on the 3rd Saturday of each month, 8:30AM
- Montevallo Boys & Girls Club: 420 Vine St. Montevallo, AL 35115, 4th Thursday of each month, 8:30AM
- Jonesboro Elementary: 125 Owen Ave., Bessemer, AL 35020, 3rd Saturday of each month, 10AM
4. A number of options are available for families that need meals for school children
While schools are closed, locations across the state are providing breakfast and lunch for students. Find a location near you or text FOOD to 877-877.
Bham Now did a piece on places feeding kids back in mid-March. Again, please check with places before visiting to make sure they’re still offering these services.
5. There are many other food pantries in Birmingham
New Life Seventh-day Adventist Church Pantry
They distribute groceries every Saturday at no cost. Drive-through service.
Location: 5626 Ash Street, Birmingham, AL 35207
Time: Saturday 11AM-2PM
If you’re still having trouble finding a food pantry near you, visit Alabama Food Bank Association.