Having trouble making weekend plans? We’re here to help. From National Dog Day to Sidewalk Film Festival, there’s never a dull moment in Birmingham. Here’s what happening August 26-28.
Top Event: Sidewalk Film Festival | Friday-Sunday, Aug. 26-28
Why go: Grab your tickets + settle in for all the movies you can handle, because Sidewalk Film Festival rolls on this weekend. See what’s playing + share some love for Bham Now’s teammates, Ben Johnson + Sabrina Palmer—both have films in the festival. Sneak peek.
- Why are pups smiling in The Magic City? Friday, August 26 is National Dog Day. Treat your furbaby—visit Krispy Kreme for their just-released Doggie Doughnuts. And don’t forget to treat yourself. Here are our team’s picks for best donuts (for humans) in Bham.
- Fun + free events: Don’t miss what’s happening at the Market at Pepper Place this fall.
- It’s wine o’clock: Get your tickets to Crush Wine and Food Festival in Huntsville, September 19-25.
Bready, set, go!
Carb up, everybody, the Head Over Teal 5K & 10K Fall Festival is back on Saturday, September 24 for its 13th annual event—and it’s going to be a good time for all! Not only does the race take place at the gorgeous Preserve in Hoover, but it benefits the Laura Crandall Brown Foundation’s mission to provide early detection research, awareness education + support services for GYN cancer patients + their families. Sign up now!
6 Weekend Events in The Magic City
Why go: Lace up your shoes + head to the starting line to help raise awareness for The Norma Livingston Ovarian Cancer Foundation. By participating in this 5K run/walk, you’ll help their mission to raise funds for ovarian cancer research and increase awareness about the risks, symptoms + treatments.
When: Saturday, August 27 | 8AM
Where: Greystone Golf & Country Club
Why go: Showcasing diverse expressions of folk music, expect music all day, interactive art, storytelling, local vendors + more. View the lineup.
When: Saturday, August 27 | 10AM-7PM
Where: Avondale Amphitheater
Cost: Free | Help keep Bham Folk Fest a free event—donate here.
Why go: Celebrate, uplift + support Black-owned businesses in The Magic City with local vendors, a kids’ fun-zone, photo ops + live music. The event supports The Modern Green Book, a resource to help people find + learn about Black-owned businesses/organizations and help them thrive.
When: Saturday, August 27 | Noon-8PM
Where: Sloss Furnaces
Cost: General Admission – $8 online, $10 at gate | VIP – $65 online, $80 at gate
Why go: After a 2-year hiatus, this soul-boosting event will feature local artists like Deirdre Gaddis, Logan the Entertainer and The Official Clutch Band. View the lineup.
When: Saturday, August 27 | Noon-8PM
Where: Historic 4th Avenue Business District
Cost: Free admission | Help keep the festival free to attend—donate here.
Why go: School’s back in session. Kick off the new school year with rides, bounce houses, food + live entertainment.
When: Saturday, August 27 | 4:30-6:30PM
Where: Patriot Park – Homewood
Cost: Free admission | $10 wristbands available for unlimited jumping + playing on rides/bounce houses. Proceeds from wristband sales benefit the Homewood High School band.
Why go: Join KultureCity for their 9th annual gala event to celebrate inclusion and raise funds for programs that benefit individuals with sensory needs + invisible disabilities.
When: Saturday, August 27 | Red Carpet opens – 6PM | Ceremony – 6:30PM
Where: Boutwell Auditorium
For more happenings, visit our events calendar.
- Top Shelf Burlesque Presents a Classy Evening at The Marble Ring
- When: Thursday, September 1 | 8-10PM
- Where: The Marble Ring
- Cost: $10 at door
- Dinner in the Streets benefiting The Salvation Army Greater Birmingham
- A Town Hall on K-3 Literacy
- When: Tuesday, August 30 | 5:30PM
- Where: Boutwell Auditorium
- Cost: Free
- iPUSH Foodie & Music Fest
- Shop to STOP ALZ Kick Off Event
- When: Tuesday, August 30 | 5-7PM
- Where: The Rug Bug Design
- Cost: Free admission