Birmingham, let’s lace up our running shoes and head to the starting line for this event that’s helping save lives. It’s time for Norma Livingston Ovarian Cancer Foundation’s (NCLOF) annual Save the O’s 5K and we have all the details. Keep reading to see how you can sign up and how Norma Livingston Ovarian Cancer Foundation is helping women battling ovarian cancer.
Lori Johnson’s story that started it all
Ovarian cancer is affecting women all over and Birmingham has felt its effects. Greystone resident Lori Johnson found out she had ovarian cancer, but like in most cases, the symptoms didn’t show up until the later stages. Sadly, Lori passed away at only 41 years old in 2006. To bring light to the symptoms of this disease and to raise money to fight it, John Johnson and the community gather every year for a 5K in Lori’s honor.
“Ovarian cancer doesn’t have very many symptoms until late stages, so it’s a particularly lethal form of cancer. It’s the fifth leading cause of cancer death in women in the United States.”John Johnson
A race to change the odds
Since Lori’s passing in 2006, Save the O’s 5K has been a big part of NLOCF’s mission to raise funds for:
- Ovarian cancer research
- Increase awareness about the risks
- Symptoms and treatments
- Provide assistance and support to women and their families
Every year, more than 22,000 women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Sadly, over 14,000 women will die from this terrible disease—this is your chance to help NCLOF change those numbers and help these women beat ovarian cancer.
“It’s the 18th annual running of the Greystone 5K. It’s a great family event over the years. We’ve raised almost half a million dollars for the Norma Livingston Ovarian Cancer Foundation, which supports ovarian cancer research at UAB and also supports patients’ programs.”John Johnson
How does Save the O’s help?
If you’re looking to make a difference, this race is the place to be. By participating in Save the O’s, you can help:
- Raise awareness of ovarian cancer and the silent symptoms
- Fund the NLOCA Just a Need program, which provides direct support services to ovarian cancer patients, survivors and caregivers through medical assistance, financial assistance and emotional support
- Celebrate the thousands of women who beat ovarian cancer and those currently battling the disease
“I am so proud of the all the work Norma Livingston Ovarian Cancer has done over the past few years, but we have so far to go to win the fight against ovarian cancer. Please think about participating in our one or all of our upcoming events—Save the O’s 5K and Together in Teal butterfly release awareness event. Your gifts and support can help beat this disease. Join our team and let’s save lives!”Kim Evans, Board President and ovarian cancer survivor, Norma Livingston Ovarian Cancer Foundation
Register now + lace up your running shoes
A little bit of sweat and running 3.1 miles is going a long way at Save the O’s. Be sure to register online and hype up your team to go BIG—the teams with the largest funds raised and the most amount of runners win an award. Mark your calendars for August 27 and start your training now:
- When: Saturday, August 27
- Where: Greystone Golf and Country Club, 4100 Greystone Drive Hoover, Alabama 35242
- Registration fee: $30 | Free for ovarian cancer survivors
- Event day registration: Opens at 6:30AM
- 5K start time: 8AM
- 1 mile fun run start time: 9AM