Happy Monday, Birmingham! Let’s get this week started off right with some of the hottest happenings around town, including tons of new openings, renovations on Roebuck Castle and more. Read on to get caught up.
Ever thought about living in a castle? Roebuck Castle, tucked away at the intersection of Lance Way and Lance Boulevard, is about to get a major facelift before it’s put on the market. Paul Mielke, the “creative whirlwind” of A&E’s Flipping Down South, has taken on the castle renovation project with his new solo venture, Monroe Park Properties.
According to Mielke, pretty much everything on the property needs a revamp. He plans on rebuilding the property to be safer and sturdier while keeping its original charm. Renovations will begin mid-July, and he expects the project will take three to three-and-a-half months to complete. His goal is to have the home completed, staged and on the market by Thanksgiving 2022.
Hikers, bikers and nature enthusiasts can see some fun, modern changes at Red Mountain Park, including a new logo and gateway entrance. Displayed at the Lakeshore Parkway entrance is a newly-installed 3000-pound gateway sign, featuring the popular park’s new logo and brand.
The rebrand comes to mark Red Mountain Park’s 10th anniversary. In the coming year, interpretive signs, trail maps, t-shirts and hats will be updated to feature the new look. Preorder your merch from Yellowhammer Creative.
From burgers to burritos, this week’s openings roundup is jam-packed with foodie favorites. Let’s dig in:
- Ironstone Pizza in Trussville got a facelift with new owners + menu additions like Neapolitan pizza, a super cheesy high-crust pizza with a brownish charred crust.
- Chipotle has a new location in Homewood featuring “Chipotlane”, a drive-thru option that makes snagging your favorite burrito easier than ever.
- Golden Cookie in Five Points is serving up delicious, warm cookies using locally-sourced ingredients. Plus, they’ve got savory items, calorie-conscious refreshments and vegan alternatives as well.
- Fan-favorite burger joint, The Standard, is making its way into Vestavia City Center. While there’s no opening date set, keep an eye out for updates on their Instagram.
- Local abstract artist Liz Lane is opening a new gallery in Hoover. The grand opening is July 15 and will be a celebration of great art, live music and wine. Take a look at her work online.
After years of construction, the wait is almost over for Slutty Vegan to open its doors. The mega-popular Atlanta-based vegan spot originally announced its Birmingham expansion back in 2020.
Abra Barnes, real estate broker for the Woodlawn location, announced on Facebook that the highly-anticipated restaurant will be open in just a few weeks. With delicious options like the Fussy Hussy, (plant-based patty loaded with pickles, vegan cheese, caramelized onions, lettuce, tomato and Slut Sauce on a vegan Hawaiian bun), we can’t wait for this spot to open.
Love a good bargain? You’ll be happy to hear that Big Lots is the newest retailer to partner with Shipt, bringing your favorite home decor deals to your door.
Shipt’s same-day delivery services will support Big Lot’s small to mid-sized goods, such as toys, paper products and small furniture like chairs and desks. For bulkier items like large indoor and patio furniture, Shipt will supplement Big Lot’s existing curbside, BOPIS (buy online, pick up in-store) and same-day operations. Ready to get shopping? Visit their website to download the app and learn more.
For more buzzy news like this delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our free newsletter.