Have you been to City Walk Bham yet? If you have, you know how much fun it is. If you haven’t, keep reading to find out why you need to check it out.
What is City Walk Bham?
City Walk is a 10-city block greenspace that runs underneath the I-59/20 corridor through downtown from 15th St N to 25th St N at 9th Ave N. It opened last year just in time for The World Games 2022, and has already become a popular spot for everyone from skaters to pickleball players, dogwalkers to children and more.
Wondering where to park? There are three City Walk Bham lots where you can park and pay using the ParkMobile app. Be sure to download it on your phone beforehand.
- Playground (Orange Block)
- Barkery (Pink Block)
- Labyrinth behind ASFA (Purple Block)
There’s also plenty of on-street parking surrounding each block, depending on what’s happening at the time. All are programmed with the Park Mobile app.
ICYMI, here are some stories we wrote as City Walk was being built, between April and July 2022:
- City Walk Bham laying down turf, portion to be ready before The World Games 2022 [Photos]
- City Walk Bham nearing completion, some portions to be complete by end of May [Photos]
- City Walk Bham nearing completion ahead of The World Games 2022
- City Walk Skatepark is officially open! [OPENING DAY PHOTOS]
- City Walk Skatepark is the new hangout spot [PHOTOS]
There is so much to do at City Walk Bham
Rather than giving you a huge list of all the things you could possibly do at City Walk, we thought it would be fun to share six of the most photo-worthy spots to inspire you to check it out for yourself. Here’s what we’ve got:
You’ll find 10 pickleball courts total at City Walk—eight on the Eastern side and two on the Western side, complete with wind screens, paddle caddies to establish the priority of play and bridge lighting that makes night play possible. Near The Barkery and Bier Garten are eight courts, and there are two more near the Food Truck Plaza.
Fun fact: Pickleball is one of Birmingham’s hottest new spots.
- Hours: 7AM-10PM Eastern courts | 7AM-7PM Western courts | 7 days a week
- More info
2. The skate park + skating rink
The skate park is a word-class facility designed by New Line Skate Parks that boasts over 58,000 square feet of skateable area, including:
- a pump track
- a street course
- two large bowls
- beginner bowls
- quarter pipe areas
Fun fact: This is actually the largest skate park in Central Alabama, and you’ll find lots of skaters and BMXers taking advantage of it whenever you go. Right next door, you’ll find an 11K square foot roller skating rink, too.
- Hours: Monday-Friday noon-10PM | Saturday-Sunday 9AM-10PM
- Cost: Free
- Managed + supervised by: Action Park Alliance
- Mandatory waiver
3. The labyrinth
One of only two labyrinths in the City of Birmingham, this is the perfect spot for a meditative spiritual journey or a lively drum circle.
John Scalici of Get Rhythm hosts a regular “Community Drum Jam Drum Circle” at the Labyrinth:
- When: Every second Sunday, 4-6PM—open to all + no experience necessary
- Next one: Sunday, July 9, 4-6PM, Block C
Anne Markum Bailey hosts a bi-monthly Labryinth Walk:
- When: Every second + fourth Thursday evening, 6-7PM
4. The Barkery
The Barkery at City Walk Bham is a favorite of dogs + their humans alike. (Bham Now)
The Barkery is a membership-only off-leash dog park. The membership agreement and rules for membership help City Walk ensure the safety of the canine community.
- Hours: Monday-Friday 11AM-7P, Saturday-Sunday 8AM-7PM
- Annual Memberships: $95.00
- Tourist/Day Passes: $10.00
- Download the app: App Store | Google Play
- Read the rules + download forms
Fun fact: Dogs and their humans can play in this 50K square foot park, complete with fenced areas for small and large dogs, water features and dog-sized play equipment.
5. The playground
The ADA-accessible playground at City Walk Bham takes its inspiration from Alabama’s five physiographic regions:
- Coastal Plain
- Alabama Ridge + Valley
- Cumberland Plateau
- Highland Rim
Everything you could need is nearby, including parking, restrooms, a shaded seating area and, of course, play equipment and rubberized surfaces.
- Hours: 7AM-7PM | 7 days a week
Fun fact: Each area features a play structure that reflects the dominant feature of each region.
6. The fountain
Barge Design Solutions, Inc. (Barge), the design firm for City Walk’s entire master plan, and Aqua Design International designed this beautiful fountain which is located next to the City Walk Bham Welcome Center (between Legacy Arena and the Birmingham Museum of Art).
- Welcome Center Hours: 9AM-5PM daily
- What to expect: City Walk Ambassadors provide information + answer yours questions about City Walk Bham.