Construction on CityWalk BHAM is nearing its final stages, just in time for The World Games 2022. Keep reading to learn more about the progress.
CityWalk BHAM June Update
- Block A – framework in place for wayfinding signage; panels in civil rights area pending installation
- Block B – concrete work in skate park finishing next week; doors installed; hardware / fixtures needed in medium station
- Block C – installing handrails; wayfinding signage and rule signage being installed
- Block D – working on visitor center- installing doors, finishing HVAC for visitor’s center, structural glass being installed, touch up painting ongoing; 9th avenue concrete to be complete in next couple of weeks
- Block E – wayfinding signage installation ongoing; landscaping 90% complete- adding mulch and pine straw
- Block F – wayfinding signage installation ongoing; handrails being installed around stage area; decomposed aggregate being installed; mulch and pine straw needed in landscape areas
- Block G – small station door installations and fixtures, toilet paper holders, hand dryers, etc.; landscaping on south side of parking lot ongoing
- Block H – playground equipment installed- pending swings; landscaping going in around pond; fountain installed in pond- pending power; concrete work-filling in previous access points; landscape underway- laying sod
The Climbing & Play Areas—which bookends the western end of CityWalk BHAM in Block H—includes a GameTime Challenge Course, swing sets, rock-climbing structures and much more. According to signage recently installed, the CityWalk BHAM Climbing & Play Area will be open from 7AM to 11PM.
Details about CityWalk BHAM
Located under the I-59/20 bridge in Birmingham, CityWalk BHAM is a 31-acre park designed to offer exciting new recreational activities to the Birmingham community. The park is made up of eight sections spread across ten city blocks:
- Block A: (15th Street to 16th Street) Recreational Sports and Gathering Space — Plans include challenge course, amphitheater, civil rights story zone, recreational sports space with artificial turf, multi-use field, gathering space and a 1/4-mile walking trail.
- Block B: (16th Street to 18th Street) Food Trucks, Skate Park — Plans include a roller skating rink, food trucks, activity zone and a skate park.
- Block C: (18th Street to 19th Street) Performance Space, Outdoor Classroom — Plans include performance space, outdoor classroom and parking.
- Block D: (19th Street to Richard Arrington Jr Blvd) Central Plaza — Plans include an outdoor stage, central gathering space, green ribbon garden path, water feature, restrooms, security station and info desk.
- Block E: (Richard Arrington Jr Blvd to 22nd Street) Market Space — Plans for this block include a market space.
- Block F: (22nd Street to 23rd Street) Beer and Wine Garden — Plans include a beer and wine garden and a green ribbon garden path.
- Block G: (23rd Street to 24th Street) Dog Park — Plans include a dog park, pickleball, restrooms and parking.
- Block H: (24th Street to 25th Street) Gateway to City Walk with Pond and Playground — Plans include a gateway pond, greenspace, playground, restroom and pavilion.
Which part of CityWalk BHAM are you most excited about? Tag us @bhamnow to let us know!