With The World Games 2022 less than two months away, construction crews are rapidly putting the finishing touches on CityWalk BHAM. In fact, some sections are 95% complete and scheduled to be complete by the end of May!
Keep reading to learn more about CityWalk BHAM!
CityWalk BHAM May Project Update
CityWalk BHAM is an upcoming, 31-acre community park located under the new I-59/20 bridge in Birmingham. Once complete, the park will offer space for a variety of community activities + connect Birmingham destinations like Uptown, the BJCC, TopGolf and the new Protective Stadium.
The park is made up of eight sections spread across ten city blocks:
- Block A: (15th Street to 16th Street) Recreational Sports and Gathering Space — Plans include challenge course, amphitheater, civil rights story zone, recreational sports space with artificial turf, multi-use field, gathering space and a 1/4-mile walking trail.
- Block B: (16th Street to 18th Street) Food Trucks, Skate Park — Plans include a roller skating rink, food trucks, activity zone and a skate park.
- Block C: (18th Street to 19th Street) Performance Space, Outdoor Classroom — Plans include performance space, outdoor classroom and parking.
- Block D: (19th Street to Richard Arrington Jr Blvd) Central Plaza — Plans include an outdoor stage, central gathering space, green ribbon garden path, water feature, restrooms, security station and info desk.
- Block E: (Richard Arrington Jr Blvd to 22nd Street) Market Space — Plans for this block include a market space.
- Block F: (22nd Street to 23rd Street) Beer and Wine Garden — Plans include a beer and wine garden and a green ribbon garden path.
- Block G: (23rd Street to 24th Street) Dog Park — Plans include a dog park, pickleball, restrooms and parking.
- Block H: (24th Street to 25th Street) Gateway to City Walk with Pond and Playground — Plans include a gateway pond, greenspace, playground, restroom and pavilion.
- Block A – all site furnishing installed except for benches; wayfinding signage installation has begun; pine straw complete on all landscape; signature benches to be installed
- Block B – finished installing all decomposed aggregate; site furnishing complete with the exception of signature benches; pine straw complete in landscape areas; doors in restrooms will go up next week; skate park to be complete by the end of May
- Block C – landscape areas are complete with pine straw; working on punch list items from walk though; pulling last of electrical wire; Block C is 95% complete
- Block D – finished placing pine straw in landscaped areas; 9th Avenue concrete pavement is complete; decomposed aggregate in path and seating areas installed; water feature is complete
- Block E – landscape work continuing along southern edge; sign installation underway; pressure washing and general clean up being performed in completed areas
- Block F –landscaping is continuing; installing wayfinding signage; general cleanup
- Block G – turf in dog park completed except for small portion in northeast corner; concrete placed around pickle ball court; concrete work is complete in block G; installing plumbing fixtures in small restroom station
- Block H – filling in sidewalk concrete paving; continuing to place surfacing in the playground; installing playground features; landscaping is underway; fountain installed in pond; pond complete except for landscaping between gabion walls
New photos of CityWalk BHAM 📸
Recently, Bham Now’er Jacob Blankenship visited CityWalk BHAM to get new photos of the progress. However, the project changes every day—I recommend you make time to drive by and see the progress for yourself!
Which part of CityWalk BHAM are you most excited about? Tag us @bhamnow to let us know!