Happy Monday, Birmingham! We hope you had a restful weekend. Ready to hit the ground running? We’ve got you covered with buzzy happenings from around the ‘Ham, including the unfortunate closings of Nabeel’s and Huffstutler’s Hardware, new openings + more. Read on for the details.
What’s happening: Beloved neighborhood hardware store, Huffstutler’s Hardware, is closing later this fall. After receiving a tip that the hardware store may be closing, Bham Now visited the shop where several longtime staffers confirmed the news. Various handwritten signs with closeout sales + operating hours have been posted on the door—view them here.
Why it matters: Huffstutler’s Hardware is a Homewood original, first opening its doors back in the 1930s. Homewood Mayor Patrick McClusky bid a heartfelt goodbye to the shop:
“It’s always hard to see a staple from the community make the difficult decision to move on, but when you think of the iconic representation that Huffstutlers has had in Homewood, it hurts just a little worse. The Huffstutler’s name has been synonymous with Homewood for decades, and while it’s a sad day for our city, we wish them the very best. Homewood will miss you!”Patrick McClusky, Mayor, City of Homewood
What’s happening: After 50 years of serving the community with delicious Mediterranean food, Nabeel’s Cafe & Market in Homewood has closed its doors. With a wide variety of tasty menu offerings as well as a full international market in-house, Nabeel’s will certainly be missed.
Why it matters: Nabeel’s has been around in Homewood longer than some of us have been alive. It’s sad to see yet another longtime Birmingham staple close down. Details remain unconfirmed surrounding the reason for the store’s closing and what will be replacing it.
7 new Birmingham businesses opening now + coming soon
Now that we’ve broken your heart as we bid farewell to two Homewood staples, it’s time for some brighter news. We have your weekly roundup of businesses open now and coming soon around town:
- Enjoy delicious elevated street food at Encore Rouge, a food truck turned brick-and-mortar in Southside.
- From smoothies to sandwiches, get your fix of treats that are yummy and healthy at Clean Juice in Lane Parke.
- Birmingham has a new brewery to visit—meet Asheville-based Hi-Wire Brewing in Downtown Birmingham.
- The White House Interiors opened their second location in Hoover for all your dream home makeover needs. Stop by tomorrow, Tuesday, October 4 for their official grand opening and ribbon-cutting celebration.
- Get your caffeine fix and give back to the community at the same time at The Modern House Coffee Shop in Titusville.
- Irondale-based roaster Red Bike Coffee is bringing its popular blends to the former Crestwood Coffee location in early December.
- A new drive-thru coffee shop, Scooter’s Coffee, is reportedly making its way to US Highway 280 with tasty sandwiches and coffee by early 2023.
What’s happening: Were you upset at the closures of beloved Trussville spots Kemp’s Kitchen and Golden Rule BBQ earlier this year? Great news, they’re both coming back… and under one roof! Construction has already begun, with an opening date slated for December 1.
Why it matters: Located within Trussville’s Entertainment District, this dynamic restaurant duo marks a historic moment for the city as two well-known establishments are set to rise from the ashes. Golden Rule BBQ is one of Alabama’s oldest running restaurants, and Kemp’s Kitchen opened its first-ever location in Trussville back in 2017.
What’s happening: Nebraska-based drive-in coffee franchise Scooter’s Coffee is opening a new location along US Highway 280 this December. With plenty of coffee drinks (hot, blended or iced) and smoothies, teas and breakfast food options, we can’t wait to give this spot a try.
Why it matters: We can never get enough coffee spots to try around town. This marks the sixth Alabama location for the shop, but the first in the Greater Birmingham Area. Plus, according to the Birmingham Business Journal, Scooter’s franchise operator Grady Ross plans to open four or five more Scooter’s Coffee locations in the Birmingham area.