Opened in 1972, Nabeel’s Cafe & Market is a Birmingham original. Their mission has always been to serve authentic Mediterranean dishes and supply unique international ingredients. Nabeel’s is sharing some of their most memorable holiday gifts and recipes from all over the world. Check it out!
A Delicious Tradition
Nabeel’s has been a staple in Homewood for decades, and even though 2020 has thrown the restaurant industry through the wringer, they’re still serving up incredible Mediterranean classics.
Supporting local has never been more important, and it’s easier (and tastier) than ever to do just that. We put together three gift baskets perfect for everyone on your list, as well as three cozy Nabeel’s recipes you can try for yourself this season.
Nabeel’s is also open for socially-distanced indoor dining. Don’t forget to mask up on your way to chow down.
- Address: 1706 Oxmoor Rd, Homewood, AL 35209
- Hours: Mon-Thurs 8AM-8PM | Fri 8AM-9PM | Sat 10AM-9PM | Sun 10AM-3PM
- Phone: (205) 879-9292
3 Last-Minute Gift Ideas
Nabeel’s Market offers some of the most unique imported items in town. No more cookie-cutter gifts for the last-minute shopper—we put together three memorable + delicious baskets you can assemble for anyone on your list.
This basket includes sweet treats from many different cultures, but they have one thing in common: they’re all delicious.
Chocolates and cookies and champagne—I mean, what more could you want for the holidays?
- Greek Wedding Cookies (trust us—don’t miss these)
- Imported Russian and Polish chocolates
- Dark chocolate
- Sparkling wine
Nabeel’s is a cheese lover’s paradise. The market offers French Feta and many more unique cheese varieties from all over the world.
This basket has a sampling of their selection, as well as the necessary pairings—olives and wine. Don’t forget to grab some fried-in-house pita chips or fresh bread as well!
- Choose a few of your favorite cheeses (I highly recommend grilling the halloumi)
- Cracked olives are pictured, but they have a wide variety
- Cabernet Sauvignon, or select a pairing for each of your cheese selections
3. For the Lover of Local
This year has brought a renewed sense of support for local businesses and restaurants, especially here in Birmingham.
Everywhere you look, you’ll see locals repping their favorite Bham biz. Now you can, too—and look good doing it.
- Nabeel’s t-shirt (these things are seriously soft)
- Choose your favorite baseball cap
- Nabeel’s Classic Greek Salad Dressing
3 Holiday Recipes
Nabeel’s Café serves up all kinds of incredible food. In keeping with Mediterranean tradition, they’re making it easy to bring three of their most popular recipes to your table.
Shakshuka is a dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, olive oil, peppers, onion, garlic and spices. It’s existed in Mediterranean cultures for centuries.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion halved and sliced thin
- 6 oz drained roasted red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp aleppo pepper
- 23 oz chopped tomatoes including juice
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat.
- Add onion and peppers and cook until soft.
- Add garlic and cook until tender.
- Stir in cumin, paprika, and aleppo.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until sauce has thickened by 50%.
- Make divots in the sauce and crack 16 eggs into the sauce, one per divot.
- Poach eggs until the whites are set.
- Top with French feta, olive oil and chopped parsley.
2. Chicken Penne Pasta
As delicious as it is classic. Penne pasta tossed with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, French Feta and olive oil.
Chicken Penne Pasta
- 4 oz. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb cooked penne pasta
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes halved
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves julienned
- 4 oz. sundried tomatoes julienned
- 10-12 oz. crumbled french Feta
- 1 lb. marinated cubed, grilled chicken breast
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients in a skillet over medium heat.
- Simmer until the cheese melts and the basil is fragrant.
- Transfer to four large bowls for serving.
3. Feta Theologos
Nabeel’s most popular starter! French Feta seasoned with extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic and Greek oregano, wrapped in foil and baked. Served with toasted homemade bread.
- 4-6 cloves fresh garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3.5"x4.5"x3/4" slab of French feta
- 1.5 tsp rubbed Turkish oregano
- In a food processor, combine 4-6 cloves of fresh garlic and enough extra virgin olive oil to create a thick, chunky paste
- Spread one tablespoon of the garlic/olive oil paste on a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Add a 3.5"x4.5"x3/4" slab of French feta on top of the spread.
- Top the feta cheese with one tablespoon of the paste and 1.5 tsp of rubbed Turkish oregano.
- Fold the foil to create a sealed packet and heat in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat until soft.
- Once hot, open foil, drizzle with one tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
Want to keep up with one of Birmingham’s favorite restaurants? Follow the Café and Market on Instagram, like Nabeel’s on Facebook, and be sure to drop by soon!