Get ready to smile, Birmingham! This weekend is jam-packed with entertainment and more. From Dragon Fest to the grand opening of Slutty Vegan in Woodlawn, here’s what’s ahead, August 19-21.
- Brewery News: Ghost Train Brewing has announced it will be leaving its original location on 3rd Avenue South. But it won’t be vacant for long—say hello to Uproot Brewing coming late 2022.
- Slutty Vegan OPENS: It’s FINALLY here—the grand opening of Slutty Vegan! Check it out Sunday, August 21 from Noon-6PM in Woodlawn at 77 55th PL, Birmingham, AL 35212.
Have news tips? Send to email@example.com | Want to advertise? Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
5 Weekend Events
1. Dragon Fest 2022
Why go: Over 21? Friday night is Dragon Fest at McWane Science Center and you won’t want to miss it. From dancing and D&D games to beer tastings + more, there’s no time to be dragon your tail—get your tickets now!
When: Friday, August 19 | 7-11PM
Where: McWane Science Center
2. Local Natives – Inside An Hourglass Tour
Why go: If you don’t already love rock band Local Natives, you will after hearing them live at Iron City this Friday. Give ’em a listen.
When: Friday, August 19 | 8PM
Where: Iron City
3. Dragon Boat Race & Festival benefiting Mitchell’s Place
Why go: The 2nd annual Dragon Boat Race and Festival is back this Saturday at gorgeous East Lake Park, supporting Mitchell’s Place + their mission to improve the lives of children and their families.
When: Saturday, August 20 | 8AM-3PM
Where: East Lake Park
Cost: Free admission
4. Journey of Hope
Why go: A magical night of inspiration + entertainment awaits you during this special event benefiting United Ability. This year’s event honors Christopher Biggins, 3rd ranked golfer with a disability in the world + beneficiary of Untied Ability services. You’ll also see a live performance by Brianna Collichio, a 17-year-old with cystic fibrosis who will wow you with her incredible voice.
When: Saturday, August 20 | Live stream begins – 5:45PM, Event begins – 6PM
Where: Venue tickets have sold out, but you can still stream the live event here.
5. Bham Pig Roast benefiting ¡HICA!
Why go: Get ready to pig out! The Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama (¡HICA!) is back with the 2nd annual Bham Pig Roast this Saturday. Don’t miss family-friendly entertainment, food, a new Lagerveza beer release from Cahaba Brewing Co. + the chance to support ¡HICA!‘s programs and scholarship fund.
When: Saturday, August 20 | 4-8PM
Where: Cahaba Brewing Co
For more happenings, visit our events calendar.
- Sidewalk Film Festival
- When: Monday-Sunday, August 22-28
- Where: 10+ locations in Birmingham’s Theatre District
- Cost: Varies
- Save the O’s 5k
- When: Saturday, August 27 | 8AM
- Where: Greystone Golf & Country Club
- Cost: $30
- 2nd Annual Culture + Community Fest
- When: Saturday. August 27 | Noon-8PM
- Where: Michael’s Restaurant
- Cost: General admission – $8 online, $10 at the gate | VIP – $65 online, $80 at the gate
Deal of the Week
Moving houses? Get FREE box delivery (no minimum purchase necessary) from Two Men and a Truck. Find more deals + add your own to our Small Business Guide.
For more events, follow Bham Now on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok + LinkedIn.