There are big things happening in Birmingham’s Ensley community. Keep reading for a look at a couple of the fun happenings including Ensley Renaissance Festival and a new multi-use facility called District Depot.
Ensley Renaissance Festival returns
Ensley Renaissance Festival, a unique experience for Ensley residents and the greater Birmingham area, is back bigger and better than ever.
- When: Saturday, August 20
- Time: 3PM-8PM
- Location: 1601 Avenue K, Birmingham, AL 35218
- Cost: free for Ensley Residents and $10 for non-Ensley residents
- Facebook | Website
At this family-friendly, community-driven festival, guests can enjoy so many fun activities, including:
- Live music from local artists
- Over 40 community organizations providing information on services available to the community
- Food & drinks from your favorite local food trucks
- Small business vendors with clothing, candles, food items and more
The festival would not be complete without a concert featuring David Joshua, Dru Toney, Ashley Sankey and R&B recording artist Vivian Green. You won’t want to miss it!
District Depot—new mixed-use development in the works
Plans for a new multi-use space are in the works in Ensley. We spoke with Brandon Cleveland, Executive Director of the Daniel Payne Foundation, about his nonprofit, Waterside Global, and its plans for a development in Ensley called District Depot.
- What: a 6000 square foot warehouse is being repurposed into a multipurpose, mixed-use facility
- Where: 18th street
- When: set to open in May 2023
Here’s a sneak peek at what you can expect to find in this new facility:
- a 400 square foot repurposed two chair salon/barber shop
- 600 square feet of administrative offices to contain professionals in accounting, counseling, therapy, etc.
- 3 additional offices in the center of the facility to be a co-working space
- a 1000 square foot food stall with a catering kitchen
- 700 square foot retail space
- 2400 square foot art gallery/event flex space
PLUS: A small business market will be in the space around the warehouse for local businesses to come and be a part of.
As District Depot grows and comes to life, software company CoWello will be keeping everything in check. We spoke with co-founder Oz Imaghodor about the partnership between CoWello and District Depot.
“CoWello is a software that helps businesses manage their space. We are here to help all of the tenants and professionals in this new space be more successful by managing their invoicing, bookings and ultimately bringing more members and clients to their businesses as they grow within the city. Brandon and I both grew up here in Birmingham, so it’s really about getting to serve and better our community.”Oz Imaghodor, Co-founder, CoWello
More in Ensley
- 11 restaurants & bars in Five Points West-Ensley to get great food + drinks
- Revitalization project brings affordable housing to Ensley
- A new woman- + veteran-owned entrepreneurship center’s coming to Ensley
Want more Bham area news delivered straight to your inbox? Subscribe to our FREE daily newsletter.