Sparklers, a couple hot dogs on the grill and maybe a cocktail or two in hand—the basics of the fourth of July don’t have to change this year. If you’re spending it with family, friends or in quarantine with your cat there’s still plenty of ways to enjoy it with help from local businesses.
1. Red, white + pie
Every holiday in America involves some type of pie, but the 4th of July is the only holiday where the berries you use match the theme. Make your own with fresh fruit from the farm or buy local and tell everyone you baked it yourself.
Make your own
- 9 u-pick blueberry farms close to Birmingham
- 5 u-pick berry farms a short drive from Birmingham—open NOW + simple strawberry pie recipe
- 5 places to find fresh peaches near Birmingham
Buy from local biz
- Edolyn’s Pies: Menu | Call | 1821 2nd Ave N Birmingham, AL 35203
- JaWanda’s: Menu | Call | 5291 Valleydale Road Suite 111 Birmingham, AL 35242
- The Bright Star: Menu | Call | 304 19th St N, Bessemer, AL 35020
Not a pie fan? Check out these patriotic donuts!
2. Cookout Essentials
What’s better than firing up the grill? Having someone do it for you. You can’t have 4th of July without BBQ and Birmingham has got the meal deals on DECK. Picnics also have a patriotic ring to them so be sure to check out our guide for hosting the perfect one.
- Bob Sykes Bar B Q: Family meals | Call | 1724 9th Ave N, Bessemer, Alabama 35020
- Miss Myra’s: Give them a call for your 4th of July gathering and they’ll do the cooking for you. | Call | 3278 Cahaba Heights Rd, Birmingham, AL 35243
- MELT: Pans of Mac and cheese and pints of chicken salad and pimento cheese | Email Wednesday at noon to order | 4105 4th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Don’t sleep on our latest hot dog guide either.
3. Screen an outdoor movie
Don’t forget the bug spray! When the sun dips lower in the evening bring out your projector and host a mini-movie marathon in your back yard. Not to worry if you don’t have the equipment, Birmingham has you covered for a socially-distant movie night.
- FunFlicks Alabama Outdoor Movies: Website
- Don’t forget to take a look at Regions Summer Series featuring outdoor movies
4. Photo props, flags + decor
Fake it till ya make am I right? If you’re not out on the lake or at a giant BBQ like usual, you can at least dress up your place to the nines.
- Little Hardware: Website | Call | 2117 Cahaba Rd, Birmingham, AL 35223
- It’s A Party Ballon and Party Supplier: Facebook | Call | 107 North Chalkville Mountain Road Trussville, Alabama
Sparklers are not only cute and make for adorable pictures, but they won’t hurt the friendly pets in your neighborhood and cause anxiety for everyone around you.
- Grand Wedding Exit Sparklers (I know they are for weddings, but they’re cute!): Website
- Super Show Fireworks: Facebook | Call | 5859 Service Rd, Birmingham, AL 35235
6. Bikes rides, kayaking + natures walks
It’s a holiday which means you now have more time to explore Birmingham and do all of those outdoorsy things you always say you’ll do but don’t. Rent a bike and take it out on one of our amazing trails or opt for a kayak and hit the water.
- Biking in Birmingham: Trails, shops and local groups to join
- 19 hidden trails in Birmingham
- Roll into summer with new wheels + more outdoor gear from 5 Birmingham businesses
7. Backyard water park
Can’t make it to the pool or lake? Chances are they’ll be crowded anyway, so a safer option is cooling off in your backyard. If you didn’t invest in a kiddy pool during quarantine, now is your chance
- Homewood Toy and Hobby: Call | 2830 18th St S, Birmingham, AL 35209