Read Time 4 Minutes
Picnics are SUCH an aesthetic—aren’t they? The gingham blanket, a sundress and wicker baskets filled with pastries, fancy cheeses and lemonade. Grab your straw hat, Birmingham, and romanticized notions—we’re heading on a picnic.
I found out about all these cool places through Bham Now’s database—featuring over 490 Birmingham businesses. Remember, hours and availability could change as stores and restaurants reopen, so it’s best to check their socials beforehand.
Let’s start with the food
Pack your own picnic or pick-up to-go from local Birmingham restaurants—I usually like to do a little of both. Places like Stone Hollow Farmstead are great for grabbing up those extras that really elevate a picnic, like honey for your crackers or specialty lemonade.
Sides + Entrees
The already fantastic Ashley Mac’s teamed up with the equally fantastic Nourish Foods, Automatic Seafood and more to bring us the Southern Picnic Box. Expect chicken salad, chocolate brownies and pimento cheese—I’m hooked.
- Cahaba Heights and Homewood Cafes are open for dine-in. Other locations are available for curbside pick-up. For updated hours and rules of operation head to Ashley Mac’s website.
- Order Online | Facebook | Instagram
Savage’s would be my go-to picnic pick-up spot if I were to pick-up a meal for more than two (but less than 10, remember social distancing people). You can order deli and sides by the pound, including potato and pasta salad which are picnic staples if you ask me.
- Where: 2916 18th St S, Homewood, AL 35209
- Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM-5:30PM | Saturday 9AM-5PM
- Contact: (205) 871-4901 | Order Online | Facebook | Instagram
Another great place to get a family-sized meal is Bob Sykes in Bessemer. It’s got all the fixings of a Southern picnic and the fact you can get a pint of mac and cheese is enough to send me there now. Six more places to get family-style BBQ meals in Birmingham
- Where: 1724 9th Ave N, Bessemer, AL 35020
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 10:30AM-8PM | Friday-Satuday 10:30AM-9PM
- Contact: (205) 426-1400 | Order online | Facebook | Instagram.
Ice cream is messy and anything with icing is a guaranteed sticky situation. So, when you’re planning your picnic dessert, I’d stick with cookies and, of course, pie.
The Essential’s menu changes every week, but they always have a dessert that’ll make your head spin it’s so good. Heaven shines on us for Memorial Day Weekend, because their delicious Banana Cream Pie and Chocolate Espresso Chess make an appearance on the menu.
- Where: 2018 Morris Ave, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: Thursday-Saturday 4PM-8PM | Saturday Brunch 10AM-1PM | See The Essential’s latest update on reopening the restaurant for dine-in June 3
- Contact: (205) 703-3012 | Order Online | Facebook | Instagram
I actually let out a little gasp when I saw Brick&Tin was reopening for curbside pickup. Two months without them was two months too long. Order a dozen cookies in any flavor, including flourless chocolate, strawberry oatmeal and chocolate chip. More places to grab cookies curbside.
- Where: 214 20th St N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 11AM-8PM
- Contact: (205) 297-8636 | Order Online | Facebook | Instagram
These little guys are perfect for a hassle-free picnic. Pre-packaged and full of flavor, Edolyn’s Pie is offering curbside pickup for order $20 and above. They also have a delivery for orders $20+ and a $3 delivery charge to any location within 20 miles from their Pizitz location.
- Where: Located inside the Pizitz Food Hall. 1821 2nd Ave N #3112, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: Monday-Satuday 11AM-8PM | Sunday 11AM-6PM
- Contact: 205-876-6754 | Menu | Facebook | Instagram
Brought to you by:
Don’t forget fresh fruits, veggies + other speciality items
Need I remind you it’s strawberry season? Swing by The Market at Pepper Place’s drive-thru market every Saturday for breads, jams and fresh produce.
- Where: 2829 2nd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35205
- Hours vary by vendor, check the site before heading out
- Pre-order NOW
Now, the picnic essentials
If you’re going to commit to the full picnic vibe, it has to include a straw hat. SOCA has several or so options to choose from and they’re 40% off through Memorial Day!
- Shop | 2824 18th St S, Homewood, AL 35209
As much as I’m obsessed over the idea of an old-fashioned wicker basket, it’s probably smartest to bring a cooler. There’s a wide selection to choose from at Mountain Highoutfitters in all shapes, sizes and brands.
- Shop | Open Sunday-Saturday 11AM-6PM
If you’re on the hunt for a classic basket, check out:
What else do you need for a perfect picnic? Let us know on social @bhamnow!
Brought to you by: