Read Time 2 Minutes
Hey sports fans! Who else is excited for Birmingham’s newest stadium? We have the latest designs on the new Protective Stadium – here’s what you need to know.
Protective Stadium External Materials Approved
At an early morning meeting on September 11th, the Birmingham Design Review Committee (DRC) officially approved the external materials on the new stadium!
Additionally, the decision by the DRC will let the BJCC prepare a construction package. The package will be put forward for public bid later this year.
“We appreciate the Design Review Committee’s service, ensuring that construction and renovation projects meet the quality of design that our city deserves. We’re pleased to have their approval on the external materials for the stadium and are eager to move forward with next steps”Tad Snider, Executive Director and CEO of BJCC Authority.
The Final Touches
Now that the external materials are approved, the BJCC and Protective Stadium partners will work with Populous to put the final touches on the design. Next, the BJCC will present the final design to the public on September 18th.
A $174m Development
That’s a big price tag! However, the funding comes from several public and private partners.
So what does Birmingham get for the money?
- An open-air, 45,000 capacity NCAA football stadium: The stadium will be the home for UAB football.
- A new reason to visit Uptown: The main entrance to Protective Stadium will open up to the Uptown entertainment district. As if you needed another reason to visit Mugshots or Eugene’s Hot Chicken!
- The opportunity to be competitive with other cities in bringing world-class sporting and entertainment events to the city.
So what’s next?
- September 18th: The BJCC will present the final design to the public!
- Later this year: Although ground was broken in December 2018, construction is expected to begin later this fall.
For construction updates on the stadium, check on the Protective Stadium Website and stay tuned into Bham Now.