Birmingham is the 4th Best BBQ City in America, according to the good folks at Clever, a real estate data company.
The Magic City jumped two spots from last year’s report. If you are wondering about your community (I can already hear complaints coming from Decatur to Mobile), the ranking only considers the 50 largest metro areas in the U.S.
Austin tops list
Topping the poll in 2023 is Austin, Texas, followed by Memphis and San Antonio.
How did Clever come up with their rankings?
Here are the categories:
- BBQ Restaurants per 100,000 people
- Average YELP Rating
- Average cost for a pound of BBQ meat
- BBQ Trucks per 100,000
- BBQ Passion Score (Using Google Trends)
Want to see the numbers? Follow this link: The Best BBQ Cities in America: 2023 Data
Passion & Barbeque Everywhere
One category that was not a surprise on the list was Birmingham’s passion for BBQ. We ranked #2 on the list behind St. Louis.
Other notable stats:
- Birmingham has 4.04 BBQ restaurants per 100,000 residents compared to Miami, which has the fewest BBQ restaurants at 0.7 per 100,000 residents.
- BBQ restaurants in Birmingham have an average Yelp rating of 3.69 compared to the city with the lowest average score in our study, Detroit (3.32).
- BBQ meats in Birmingham cost an average of $5.29 per pound. The study found that BBQ meats are the most expensive in Western cities such as Los Angeles, Portland, and Denver, where they average $5.86 per pound.
BBQ joints – a list of stories
Does this story make you hungry for some Birmingham BBQ?
Below are some Bham Now featured stories about The Magic City’s love affair with BBQ
And do checkout our taste test video:
What are your thoughts about Clever’s study? Did they get it right? Tell us on social media by tagging us in the comment section at @bhamnow