Described as the “Oscars” of the food world, the James Beard Awards were established in 1990 by the James Beard Foundation to, “recognize culinary professionals for excellence and achievement in their fields and furthers the foundation’s mission to celebrate, nurture and honor chefs and other leaders making America’s food culture more delicious, diverse and sustainable for everyone.”
James Beard Award Finalists
The James Beard Foundation announced this year’s finalists on Wednesday.
Last month, the organization released its list of semifinalists which included Golden Age Wine in Mountain Brook.
Hontzas and Evans are both multi-year nominees and will be competing against each other in the “Best Chef: South” category, which includes chefs from Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi and Puerto Rico.
Over the years, several beloved Birmingham chefs and restaurants have won the prestigious James Beard Award including:
- Highlands Bar & Grill—Outstanding Restaurant (2018)
- Dolester Miles, Highlands Bar & Grill—Outstanding Pastry Chef (2018)
- Hot and Hot Fish Club, Chef Chris Hastings—South Chef (2012)
- Bright Star in Bessemer — American Classic (2010
- Highlands Bar & Grill, Chef Frank Stitt—Best Chef: Southeast (2001)
Mark Your Calendars
Winners will be celebrated at the James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards ceremony on Monday, June 13, 2022, at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
Who do you think will win this year? Tell us on social media by tagging @bhamnow on social media