Three Birmingham area restaurants, chefs and an innovative wine shop were named 2022 James Beard Semifinalist this week.
Described as the “Oscars” of the food world, the James Beard Awards were established in 1990 by the James Beard Foundation to “recognize culinary professionals for excellence and achievement in their fields and furthers the foundation’s mission to celebrate, nurture and honor chefs and other leaders making America’s food culture more delicious, diverse and sustainable for everyone.”
And the Local Nominees Are…
Who made this year’s prestigious list? The envelope please.
Johnny’s Restaurant in Homewood: A multiple James Beard Semifinalist over the past decade, this year, the popular eatery made the Semifinalist list in two categories.
- Best Chef: South — Chef and Owner Timothy Hontzas
- Outstanding Hospitality – Johnny’s Restaurant
Automatic Seafood and Oysters: In 2020, Lakeview’s Automatic Seafood and Oysters was named a James Beard Best New Restaurant Finalist. This year, the judges honored their executive chef and owner!
- Best Chef: South — Adam Evans
Golden Age Wine in Mountain Brook: Birmingham always seems to garner an entry in the best bar program category (Atomic Lounge). This may be the first time a Birmingham area establishment has been named one of the best wine programs in the nation. If you have ever been a guest at Golden Age Wine, you know the honor is well deserved.
- Best Wine Program – Golden Age Wine
Over the years several beloved Birmingham chefs and restaurants have won the prestigious James Beard Award including:
- Highlands Bar & Grill—Outstanding Restaurant (2018)
- Dolester Miles, Highlands Bar & Grill—Outstanding Pastry Chef (2018)
- Hot and Hot Fish Club, Chef Chris Hastings—South Chef (2012)
- Bright Star in Bessemer — American Classic (2010
- Highlands Bar & Grill, Chef Frank Stitt—Best Chef: Southeast (2001)
Will this be the year for Johnny’s Restaurant, Automatic Seafood and Oysters and Golden Age Wine?
Winners will be celebrated at the James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards ceremony on Monday, June 13, 2022, at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
Who do you think will win this year? Tell us on social media by tagging @bhamnow on social media