The holidays can be an anxiety-inducing time for some. If you’re feeling in need of some mental health help, it’s important to remember you’re not alone. We’ve gathered some affordable counseling services and mindful activities to help you with any challenges you may be facing.
1. JBS Mental Health Authority
JBS Mental Health Authority provides help to children, youth and adults with mental struggles. Their goal is to help and support each one of their clients. If you live in Jefferson, Blount or St. Clair county, then you may qualify for their service.
- Adults: If you’re over the age of 19 suffering from a servere mental ilness, then JBS’s community outreach may be right for you. Reach out to them here.
- Children: Children between the ages 5-18, qualify for the children’s services. The child must have a DSM-5 diagnosis and persistent functional ussues to get access to this care.
Feeling lost in this ongoing pandemic? JBS has a free program for those affected by COVID19. Book your counseling session today.
2. Crisis Center
Struggling to cope in a healthy-manner this holiday season? The Crisis Center is here to help guide you to the right headspace. Great news: since their programs are available 24/7, you can get help right when you need it.
Contact them at these numbers:
- Crisis Line: 205-323-7777
- Rape Response: 205-323-7273
- UTalk Youth Line: 205-328-5465
- Senior Talk: 205-328-8255
- Recovery Resource Center: 205-458-3377
3. A Friend of Mind
One way to boost your mental health is to practice mindfulness in your activities. The colder weather means you’re probably feeling slower and lethargic, which is okay! But don’t forget to move. Friend of Mind brings people together to help youth accept and manage mental illnesses they face.
Keep up on social to find out what training and virtual events to join. Register for their latest event where you can learn the warning signs of suicide, plus ways to question, persuade and refer someone to help.
4. UAB $5 Counseling
The price for counseling can be intimidating for a lot, but UAB Community Counseling Clinic offers affordable sessions. You’ll get to experience their well-trained staff of those with the latest knowledge on all things mental health.
Be a friend and reach out to them.
5. Magic City Wellness Center
Holidays can be difficult for people of the LGBTQ+ group because of the likelihood to encounter discrimination. Magic City Wellness City offers free support groups on Discord, plus provides counseling for your concerns.
Check out the sessions they offer:
- Individual Counseling
- Couple Counseling
- HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) Letter Counseling and Evaluation.
6. [BONUS] Be a Blessing Birmingham
People who are houseless also need assistance during the holidays. Many of them also suffer from PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), so a great way to help out is by volunteering or donating to Be a Blessing.
Not only are you benefiting the community, but you’re boosting your own mental health through acts of altruism.
Remember to stay in touch with friends + be mindful of your wellbeing this holiday season. To get more updates like these, sign up for Bham Now’s newsletter today.