Read Time 3 Minutes
It’s getting real at Mercantile on Morris, the newest mixed-use development coming to Birmingham. They just poured the remaining concrete for the commercial plaza, and we got a sneak peek of the process. Take a look at the spot that’ll be one of the most special places in Birmingham and throughout the Southeast.
When you walk along Morris Avenue, you can see the history of those cobblestone streets at every corner. Mercantile on Morris celebrates the area’s history and reimagines what a revitalized future could look like.
In 1905, when the buildings were originally built, commerce happened on Morris Avenue and production happened upstairs. The original Morris Avenue was where everything was happening in Birmingham in the 1900s, with the streets full of horses, buggies, cars and pretty much anything you could imagine.
“We left the exterior facades of the historic building but totally gutted the inside to create this open-air plaza experience where commercial spills out onto Morris. It’s a one-of-a-kind development in Birmingham and also throughout the Southeast.”Caroline Jenkins, Senior Development Associate, Orchestra Partners
When you walk into the new site from First Avenue, you’ll see two commercial spaces. Then, a set of stairs lead you down into the open-air plaza with commercial spots that spill onto Morris Avenue. Upstairs, you can find the 47 residential condos that feature the original building’s charm with revamped designs.
“Mercantile on Morris connects First Avenue to Morris. Our intent in doing that was to improve walkability in this area and bring even more activity and vibrancy to Morris Avenue.”Caroline Jenkins, Senior Development Associate, Orchestra Partners
Highly-anticipated stores coming soon
The mixed-use development is on a roll—there’s room for nine commercial spots and they’re filling up quickly. From delicious dinner spots to leather goods, Mercantile on Morris is bringing retail activity back to Morris Avenue. Here’s a look at who’s signed on so far:
- Hide & Hunter is a local leather goods retailer creating one-of-a-kind bags. The storefront at Mercantile on Morris will be the brand’s first brick and mortar.
- Bridge & Root is a retailer who’s curating a great menswear boutique with pieces you can’t find anywhere else. The owner, Aisha Taylor, wants to share pieces with a classic edge and modern funk.
- Cannella Gelato & Cafe will offer homemade sorbet, gelato, baked goods and coffee.
- Pizza Grace, from award-winning chef Ryan Westover, will serve delicious pizzas and dinner offerings.
“What’s most significant about Mercantile on Morris is that it fills the gap on this historic street that is anchored by Founders Station on one end and Carrigan’s on the other. It also brings a unique combination of indoor and outdoor experiences where you can not only shop and eat but also work when the weather’s nice.”LaBrandon Dates, Communications Manager, Orchestra Partners
Here’s everything you need to know about Mercantile on Morris
The development is opening this year, and we’re counting down. They’re currently wrapping up construction of the pedestrian plaza this month and finalizing the storefronts within the next few weeks before tenants begin their build-outs. Here are the details:
- Location: 2212 Morris Avenue, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Capacity: 47 condominium units & 12,000+ square feet of retail space
- Developer: Orchestra Partners
- Architect & contractor: Creature