Read Time 5 Minutes
I couldn’t find a statistic, but I bet if you were to check the most-Googled questions each January, they’d look like: “What is Whole30?,” “Is sugar Whole30 approved?,” “When does Whole30 get easier?” We did a little research and asked Birmingham businesses what they recommend from their menu when it comes to being clean, green, Whole30 eating machines.
Before you eat out, be mindful of these tips:
If you’re here, you know what’s up. Whole30 means real food. Think meat, seafood, veggies and eggs that have ingredients you can pronounce—or no ingredients at all. Say sayonara to sugars, grains, dairy, alcohol and anything processed like junk food.
BUT, little guys like sugar and dairy have sneaky ways of making it into our dressings, sauces and oils without us ever knowing. So, disclaimer here, even though the following meals are Whole30 approved, it never hurts to double-check.
Ask what ingredients are in your dressings and be aware of hidden add-ons (like cheese). When in-doubt just tell your server what’s up and see what accommodations the chef can make for you.
1. The Joyful Food Company‘s Egg Roll in a Bowl
Fun fact: all of The Joyful Food Company’s meals, besides the chicken pot pie, are approved by the Whole30 organization. They’re also the only Alabama-based business that is a partner of Whole30. So, you may want to add this biz to speed dial for the month of January and beyond.
There are a lot of tasty options, but to kick things off, try the fan-favorite Egg Roll in a Bowl family meal. The pastured pork sausage is made in-house and so is the Sriracha.
- Visit: 759 Shades Mountain Plaza, Hoover, AL 35226 | 4500 Montevallo Rd, Ste E104 Birmingham, AL 35210
- Dining options: Pick-up in-store |Local delivery to select zip codes
- Hours: Monday-Friday 10AM-5:30PM | Saturday 10AM-4PM | Sunday Noon-4PM
- Contact: Facebook | Instagram | Website | Call (Hoover) | Call (Crestline)
2. The Carrot Cumin Soup from Greenhouse
A cold January day, a cup of warm soup and a Whole30 friendly addition to your day. Don’t stop with the soup, either—Greenhouse has tons of Whole30 dishes. Throw in a side of roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts, or opt for the Caesar salad.
- Visit: 1017 Oxmoor Rd, Ste 111, Homewood, AL 35209
- Dining options: Patio dining | Carryout | Curbside | Local delivery via UberEats and DoorDash
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10AM-8PM | Sunday 10AM-3PM
- Contact: Facebook | Instagram | Website | 205.326.7727
3. Pork Tikka Masala at Anvil Pub
Sub the Basmati rice for some fresh, local veggies and the Pork Tikka Masala is making Whole30 restrictions a whole lot easier.
Be sure to also swing by on the weekends when The Anvil Pub is serving Gulf snapper over roasted carrots, turnips, Sunchoke and fennel with a saffron Meyer lemon broth.
Sourcing all veggies from BDA and Hebersham farms, you’re not only eating Whole30, but you’re also eating local. The citrus is from Petal from the Past and the snapper is from the Gulf, making the whole dish fully Alabama.
- Visit: 611 Doug Baker Blvd, Unit 103, Birmingham, AL 35242
- Dining options: Dine-in | Curbside pickup
- Hours: Tuesday- Saturday 11AM-2PM (lunch), 2-4PM (bar snacks), 4-10PM (dinner) | Sunday 9AM-5PM
- Contact: Facebook | Instagram | Website | 205.637.7100
4. Build-your-own-bowl at bowl.
All of bowl.’s chef-crafted dishes contain a grain or legume of some kind, but this is where the build-your-own-bowl option becomes your best friend. It’s easy to create your personal Whole30 option from fresh, nutritious and locally-sourced ingredients.
Simply order online, pick a choice of protein and your base veggie that suits the Whole30 guidelines.
- Visit: 214 20th St N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Dining options: Pickup | Delivery within a 5-mile radius
- Hours: Monday-Friday 10:30AM-4PM
- Contact: Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. blueroot co.’s Tumeric Butternut Squash Soup
Three words that will warm your heart (and your belly!)—Tumeric. Butternut. Squash. Fall may be over, but everyone’s favorite season isn’t going far with this hearty soup from blueroot co.
Looking for even more Whole30 options at the clean, plant-forward restaurant? Try the Farmstand or Protein Box with grilled chicken. Plus, once they open their flagship at Pepper Place, the combos will be endless for Whole30 heaven.
- Vist: 822 Petticoat Lane, Mountain Brook, AL 35223
- Dining options: Order online for pickup
- Hours: Monday-Friday 11AM-5PM
- Contact: Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Spicy Veggie Lettuce Wraps at Bitty’s Living Kitchen
Holy shiitake mushrooms! The spicy veggie wraps from Bitty’s Living Kitchen will shake up your routine if you’ve found yourself in the Whole30 salad cycle. Since the ghost kitchen is all plant-based, there’s no doubt you’ll be able to find more meals that fit Whole30 standards with a few modifications.
- Visit: Prepared meals at Bama Health Foods, but follow on social if you’re interested in cooking classes.
- Dining Options: Order Online
- Hours: Pick up orders at Bama Health Foods Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM | Saturday 9AM-5PM
- Contact: Facebook | Instagram | Website | 205.326-0025
7. Spice Rubbed Chicken with Charred Carrots at Real & Rosemary
Everything served at Real & Rosemary is totally fresh—no preservatives. You can taste it too, especially in certified Whole30 menu items like the Spice Rubbed Chicken, charred carrots, chipotle lime vinaigrette and more.
- Visit: 1922 29th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35209 | 323 Summit Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35243
- Dining options: Dine in | Takeout | Curbside | Order Online
- Hours: Tuesday-Sunday 11AM-8PM (Homewood) | Monday-Saturday 11AM-8PM, Sunday 11AM-3PM (Summit)
- Contact: Facebook | Instagram | Website | Call (Homewood) | Call (Summit)
Don’t forget to check out even more
I scoured a few Reddit threads for you—the things you find on that site, oh man—and found the following restaurants are typically Whole30 accommodating, too. With a couple of adjustments, you can enjoy a delicious meal without breaking restrictions:
Just looking to reset your eating habits?
We get it. Whole30 is great. But if you’d like to incorporate new habits or find places to eat that better fit your dietary restrictions, take a look at these options:
- Whole30 in Birmingham: your guide to where to shop, eat out, or get takeout
- 11 farm-to-table restaurants on our foodie bucket list in Birmingham
- Your guide to vegan restaurants + food trucks in Birmingham
- 5 Alabama bakeries welcoming those with dietary restrictions
- 10 food allergy-friendly restaurants in Birmingham