FedEx Ground’s upcoming $40.6M facility will bring 285 new jobs to Birmingham

41432819 2074387605939511 3552185799174782976 o FedEx Ground's upcoming $40.6M facility will bring 285 new jobs to Birmingham
Say hello to a faster delivery from FedEx Ground. Photo via FedEx on Facebook

The City of Bessemer, the City of Birmingham and Jefferson County have been collaborating on one of the largest economic development projects this year in the Birmingham region. A new $40.6 million FedEx Ground facility is set to open in June 2021, bringing 285 new full- and part-time jobs to the area. Learn more.

Located on Lakeshore

A few months back, we heard rumors of Project Fish—a mysterious, multi-million dollar development coming to Lakeshore Parkway. So, of course we wanted to learn more.

Turns out, Project Fish is the new $40.6M facility for FedEx Ground. Located on a 46-acre plot on Lakeshore Parkway, the 300,000 square-foot facility is split between Birmingham and Bessemer. Birmingham will be home for 94% of the facility, while the remaining 6%—including the main office office, a parking lot and an access road—will be in Bessemer.

The new FedEx facility joins the growing number of logistics & distribution centers on the Lakeshore corridor.

Facilitated by the Birmingham Business Alliance

26685111 1750916848286590 1837943556206019391 o FedEx Ground's upcoming $40.6M facility will bring 285 new jobs to Birmingham
A glimpse inside an existing FedEx center. Photo via FedEx on Facebook

“This project is further evidence that our region’s logistical attributes make our area a prime option for companies looking to grow their distribution footprint in the Southeast.”

Jeff Traywick, Vice President of Economic Development, Birmingham Business Alliance

Since the facility is located between Birmingham and Bessemer, the two cities worked together to create incentives for the FedEx facility. During the early stages of the project, the Birmingham Business Alliance worked closely with FedEx to coordinate the incentives and facilitate intergovernmental discussions between Bessemer, Birmingham and Jefferson County.

“This project is an excellent example of regional cooperation as we worked with Bessemer and Jefferson County to bring about an expansion of FedEx Ground in the Birmingham area. The jobs and investment are very important to our economy and I want to thank FedEx Ground for choosing this site that we share with Bessemer. I pledge our continuing support as the project moves forward.”

Randall Woodfin, Mayor, City of Birmingham

Up and Running by June 2021

12208465 1050870461624569 4959615442373708333 n FedEx Ground's upcoming $40.6M facility will bring 285 new jobs to Birmingham
Birmingham and Bessemer will have a brand new FedEx distribution facility in 2021. Photo via FedEx on Facebook

According to a Birmingham Business Alliance press release, construction on the facility is slated to begin around September 1, 2020. The team hopes to complete the project by June 2021.

With nearly 300 new jobs and $40.6M in capital investments, the new project is a much-appreciated boost in 2020.

Excited to learn more about the new FedEx facility? Tag us @bhamnow to stay up to date!

Nathan Watson
Nathan Watson

Senior Content Producer at Bham Now

Articles: 755