Read Time 2 Minutes
Plenty of children in Birmingham depend on school meals for vital nutrition. With all the COVID-19 school closures, there are options available for those in need. Find out what you need to know right here.
Birmingham City Schools
Birmingham City Schools (BCS) is partnering with other local school districts to provide students with free meals while during the closure. Children 18 and under can access free lunches at several locations, regardless of school zone.
- Multiple locations across several districts will be open during lunch hours. Find locations, hours and dates here.
- Expanded meals will be available March 19-April 3. The meals will include sandwiches, fruit, milk and non-perishable items and will be offered at all Birmingham City Schools except Carver High School.
- An extended meal service plan will be provided as needed following Friday, April 3.
Tarrant City Schools
Tarrant City Schools will provide free meals for children 18 years and younger. Drive-thru only, lunch and breakfast provided, child must be present in vehicle to receive a meal. Locations and hours:
- Tarrant Intermediate School | 11AM-12:30PM
- Springdale Baptist Church | 11:15AM-12PM
- Lily Baptist Church | 11:15AM-12PM
- Good News Assembly of God in Robinwood | 11:15AM-12PM
- Get info and updates here.
How You Can Help
There are several Facebook groups that local citizens have started for people who want to volunteer. Join a group and keep an eye out for ways to plug in if interested:
Other Ways to Help
Bham Now has compiled a list for those who need to get help or want to give help during COVID-19. Birmingham’s spirit is as strong and generous as ever, and we’ll be updating this list with resources as they come up.
- Give blood with the American Red Cross in Birmingham
- Give or volunteer with United Way of Central Alabama (Meals on Wheels especially needs volunteers, as does the 2-1-1 call center)
- Donate to the Birmingham Strong Fund to help small businesses
- Support LOCAL businesses
Local Restaurants Stepping Up
There are a TON of local businesses in Birmingham that have stepped up to meet needs in all kinds of ways. Many restaurants are offering free meals for kiddos while schools are closed—the following is not a comprehensive list, but includes many of the businesses offering specials.
- Homewood Bagel Company is offering free cereal breakfasts or PB&J lunches.
- Meme’s Coffee and Deli in Bessemer offering free meals for children.
- Shiki Homewood is offering a free fried chicken tempura meal with rice or broccoli for kids.
- Vintage Comfort Food Truck will provide free lunch to children in need.
- Pizzeria GM invites kids to eat for free during lunch hours Monday-Friday.
- Over Easy is offering free kid’s breakfast or lunch Monday-Friday.
- Charleys in Brookwood Mall will be offering free kids meal to any child.
Bham Now knows small businesses need support during this time. If you or someone you know owns a Birmingham business, take five minutes to fill out our form on your special offerings—including curbside pickup, delivery, online classes and more. Be featured for free on Bham Now!