Read Time 4 Minutes
On February 7, Seasick Records announced their upcoming move to East Avondale. However, Seasick isn’t the first to fall in love with East Avondale. See why this vibrant area is the place to be.
Seasick Records – Coming March 2020
Since Seasick Records has outgrown their Crestwood location, they’ve decided to move to a new spot in East Avondale. Although the new shop is just a mile away, it is much bigger.
In addition, the popup barbershop Newman’s Classic Cuts will be moving with Seasick. In fact, they will be adding two more chairs and rebranding themselves to the simple “Classic Cuts.”
- Hours: 10AM-7PM, Tuesday–Saturday; 12-5PM, Sunday–Monday
- Contact: 205.677.3166 | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Since their grand opening in November 2019, ORE Mercantile has made a big splash in East Avondale. In addition to their own products, this micro-retail store has products from several local Birmingham retailers, including:
- Faith Skate
- Manitou Supply Company
- Deep Creek Trading Company
- Original B’ham Apparel Company
- Alabama Peanut Company
- Magic City Organics
- Location: 4414 4th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: 11AM-6PM, Monday–Saturday; 11AM-5PM Sunday
- Contact: 205.202.4542 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
Gatos and Beans
Did you know that Alabama’s first (and only) cat café is right here in Birmingham? That’s right! Since they won REV Birmingham’s Big Pitch competition in 2018, Kelli and Stephen Steward launched their dream–Gatos and Beans.
Since Gatos and Beans is a cross between a cat adoption center and a café, one half of the building features a coffee shop/wine bar, while the other half is a cat adoption center.
- Location: 4348 3rd Ct S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: 12-7PM, Monday and Sunday; 11AM-7PM, Thursday–Saturday; Closed Tuesday and Wednesday
- Contact: 205.202.6683 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
Sheppard’s Pet Supply
Since 2015, Will Sheppard’s pet supply shop has focused on raw and holistic foods for your fur babies. Although Will is the owner of Sheppard’s Pet Supply on paper, he insists that his shop cat, Declan, is the real boss.
- Location: 4410 4th Ave S Suite A, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: 10AM-6PM, Monday–Friday; 10AM-4PM, Saturday; Closed Sunday
- Contact: 205.703.0989 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
Sanctum Tattoos & Comics
Whether you like tattoos, comics, or both, Sanctum has something for you. The tattoo artists at Sanctum can give you any tattoo style–especially ones influenced by comics. Additionally, if you have used comics that you’d like to get rid of, Sanctum will purchase them!
- Location: 4410 4th Avenue South Suite BBirmingham, Alabama
- Hours: 12PM-8PM, Tuesday–Saturday; 12PM-4PM, Sunday
- Contact: 205.201.6862 | Website | Email | Facebook | Instagram
This yoga studio and eco-friendly shop is focused on conscious living through movement, breath, community and mindful spending. Beacon Yoga offers a wide range of yoga styles to fit your personal preference, including vinyasa, hatha, ashtanga, and yin.
- Location: 4412 4th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: Open 24 hours, Wednesday–Saturday
- Contact: Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram
Get your grub on at Tropicaleo, the authentic Puerto Rican restaurant and bar that’s bringing the island life to Birmingham. At Tropicaleo, all dishes are made with fresh, local ingredients. In addition, they offer a variety of gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan, and nut-free items.
- Location: 4426 4th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: 11AM-9PM, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday; 11AM-11PM, Friday and Saturday
- Contact: 205.643.5956 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
Harvest Roots Ferments – Coming Spring 2020
Harvest Roots is an upcoming kombucha taproom coming right next to Tropicaleo. Although their products are all across the southeast, they can’t wait to open a brick & mortar location. Stay tuned–they will open in Spring 2020.
Cahaba Brewing Co.
If you don’t know about Cahaba Brewing Company yet–which rock have you been living under? Since 2011, Cahaba has been one of Birmingham’s favorite breweries. In addition to their amazing brewery, Cahaba hosts a ton of events at their East Avondale location.
- Location: 4500 5th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: 3PM-10PM, Monday–Thursday; 12PM-12AM Friday and Saturday; 12-8PM Sunday
- Contact: 205.578.2616 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
Since they opened in 2018, Mom’s Basement has offered a vintage atmosphere and a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Simple is the name of the game– that’s why Mom’s Basement only serves canned beer, wine and a handful of liquors.
- Location: 4411 3rd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: 4PM-12AM, Sunday–Wednesday; 4PM-2AM Thursday–Saturday
- Contact: 205.774.6667 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
Do You Love East Avondale Yet?
In short, East Avondale has a ton going on. In order to keep up to date on all of East Avondale’s new businesses, stay tuned to Bham Now.