Read Time 3 Minutes
From its old buildings to its popular, local businesses, Avondale oozes authentic, Birmingham charm. Find out what changes are coming to the area, making it an even better and more convenient place to eat, drink, and play this summer.
1. New Apps, Maps and Security in Avondale
As promised, Orchestra Partners made some much-needed improvements to the parking lot on the 3rd Ave and 41st Street. Go ahead and drop a pin on your phone for the lot, because this is now the safest place to park in Avondale. Upgrades include:
- The ParkMobile app, which allows drivers to pay for parking via phone. The popular app is used in cities across the globe, and it allows users to also extend their parking time without having to go back to their car or pay station.
- A helpful business map directs you to nearby food, beverage
- Improved security in the lot includes the addition of hi-resolution security cameras recording 24/7 and new large, bright LED lights.
In the words of an Orchestra Partners property manager, Phillip Dawson:
“It’s lit up like a baseball field and has more cameras than Steven Spielberg.”
2. 41st Street—Birmingham’s Next Entertainment District?
Chances are high that Avondale will soon become Birmingham’s next entertainment district, especially following the approval of Pepper Place. The application, supported by the Neighborhood Association and proposed to the City of Birmingham, would allow people to carry drinks from venue to venue. Be sure to check back with Bham Now for updates as the proposal moves forward.
3. Avondale Brewery: Prime For Summertime
The brewery is sprucin’ up the place just in time for warmer weather:
“Avondale Brewery is making several upgrades to the venue, which will include expansion into new space and improvements to the stage itself. These changes will enhance the backyard experience at Avondale, whether you’re hanging out on a sunny weekend or there for a big show.”—Taylor Lander, Avondale Brewery
4. Opportunity awaits at the Demarais Auto Building
The front half of the Demarais Auto Building is for lease in Avondale. Located on 41st Street, the commercially zoned 1,500 square foot historic building is the perfect spot for a small restaurant, bar, fitness studio or micro-retailer. With such a strong list of surrounding businesses, we can’t wait to see what unique flavor the future new tenant
5. Relax at Post Office Pies
Post Office Pies, the pizza joint named for their location in the former Avondale Post Office, is celebrating five years in Avondale this spring. The restaurant known for its wood-fired pizza has made some changes to accommodate their growing foodie fan base:
- Full-service dining experience.
- Full bar with signature cocktails.
Post Office Pies will still offer a casual vibe and a rear connection to the Avondale brewyard. The new dining service will allow you to simply come in and relax instead of standing in line.
6. More Space at Saw’s Soul Kitchen
Have you noticed the expansion underway at Saw’s Soul Kitchen? The barbershop-turned-BBQ-joint is undergoing an expansion. The original building will remain intact, and a rear kitchen addition will allow Saw’s Soul Kitchen to get orders out faster to their catering clients. Meanwhile, the existing kitchen will be converted into additional dining space and a full bar to create more room for dine-in guests.
7. A Local Favorite Coming to Avondale
There’s a restaurant coming to Avondale. Orchestra Partners is in final negotiations with an established Birmingham restaurant that would relocate to Avondale and fill a much-needed genre in the area.
Avondale summers never disappoint, but this one is shaping up to be truly special. See you there!