Here’s all you need to know about voting in Jefferson County in the June 5 statewide primaries.
There are lots of offices up for grabs, Birmingham voters. From governor, to sheriff to circuit clerk, the field is full on both sides of the fence.
Candidates For Governor
The Alabama legislature ends on April 23, just in time for candidates to morph into full-on campaign mode. Some of them have been raising money for almost a year.
Republican Gubernatorial Candidates
- Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle
- Evangelist Scott Dawson
- State Senator Bill Hightower
- Governor Kay Ivey
- Michael McAllister is no longer running. He passed away last week.
Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates
- Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb
- Tuscaloosa Mayor Walter Maddox
- Former State Representative and nominee for lieutenant governor in 2014 James Fields
- Christopher A. Countryman
- Minister Anthony White
- Doug Smith
An independent candidate who wants to be on the ballot must get 35, 412 signatures and petition the Alabama Secretary of State.
How Do Primaries Work?
In a primary election registered voters select the person as a political party’s candidate for elected office to run in the general election. In Alabama we use an open primary system. That means registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party’s primary.
If needed, a runoff will be held on July 17. General elections for county commissioner, county sheriff and more will be on November 6.
That’s A Lot Of Offices
Congressional candidates, statewide candidates, judicial candidates, state Senate candidates and state House candidates are all a part of the primaries. Here are the lists for Republican candidates and Democratic candidates running in the primaries.
How To Vote In This Election
All your answers to questions about voting, your polling place, absentee voting and more can be found here.
- May 21: last day to register for June 5 primaries
- July 2: last day to register for July 17 runoffs
- October 22: last day to register for November 6 general election
Need to register to vote? You can do it online.