Memorial Day weekend is just around the corner, and there’s plenty ways to celebrate in Birmingham. With memorial services, food and drinks, and outdoor fun– keep reading for the rundown on everything going on around the Magic City.
Honoring those who served
Memorial Day is a chance to commemorate the sacrifices made by the brave Americans who served in the armed services. This weekend in Birmingham, there are several ways to honor the legacies of these veterans.
Alabama Fallen Warriors Monument
- The Alabama Fallen Warriors Monument has finally been completed in Trussville, Alabama. The monument honors the 226 brave Alabamians who lost their lives defending our nation while serving in the War on Terror.
- When: Monday, May 29 at 2PM
- Where: 55 Parkway Dr, Trussville, AL 35173
Alabama National Cemetery
- A memorial service will be held at the Alabama National Cemetery to honor the fallen heroes of Alabama. The service will include guest speakers from across the state, wreath laying, and rifle and canon salutes.
- When: Monday, May 29 at 9AM
- Where: 45M7+8H, 3133 Hwy 119, Montevallo, AL 35115
Alabama Veterans Memorial Park
- Located just off the Liberty Park exit on Interstate 459, this park serves as a memorial for thousands of Alabamians who lost their lives in the armed forces. The park features the Hall of Honor, which displays the names of 11,000 lives lost in combat since 1900, as well as the Memorial Plaza, with 36 columns which display engraved letters by Alabama families who lost loved ones to war.
- Learn more about the park: In pictures: A solemn visit to the Alabama Veterans Memorial Park
- Where: Exit 23, 100 Overton Access Rd I-459, Birmingham, AL 35243
Pepper Place Market
- Take a walk around Pepper Place Market and shop to your heart’s content. The market will feature all kinds of vendors, offering hand-made and locally-sourced goods from local business and farms like Magic City Mushrooms, Alabama Peanut Co. and Continental Bakery. View a list of the vendors for this Saturday here.
- When: Saturday, May 27 at 7AM-12PM
- Where: 2829 2nd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- This year, the 12th annual Salsa Showdown falls on Memorial Weekend. Judge a variety of salsas, quesos and guacamoles from local restaurants including Rojo, The Current, La Paz and more. Feeling daring? There will also be a Hot Pepper Eating Contest at 5PM. Tickets are $20 in advance here, kids 5 and under enter free. Proceeds from ticket sales will benefit the Educational and Outreach programs for the Sidewalk Film Center + Cinema.
- When: 2-6PM
- Where: 4500 5th Ave S Building C, Birmingham, AL 35222
Food & drink specials
Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint
- May is National BBQ month, y’all. Whether you’re spending your Memorial Day weekend out on the lake, at the pool or at home on your back porch– no holiday weekend is complete without some good old fashioned Southern barbecue. Martin’s in Cahaba Heights is offering Memorial Day catering for the whole family, featuring smoked meats and signature sides. Pre-order your catering here. Additionally, all Veterans and active duty service members receive 20% off all Memorial Day meals when dining at Martin’s.
- When: 11AM-9PM
- Where: 3029 Pumphouse Rd, Vestavia Hills, AL 35243
Carrigan’s Beer Garden
- Kick off the weekend with Friday happy hour at Carrigan’s Beer Garden in Lakeview. From 4-6PM, enjoy $5 Stone Buenaveza pints and $3 Coors Banquet cans. Getting off work early Friday? Take advantage of half-off appetizers until 5:30PM.
- When: Friday, May 26 4-6PM
- Where: 2910 6th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Treat a hero to a free meal this Memorial Day. Dine in at Firebirds with a veteran, active duty service member or gold star family this Monday, May 29 and their meal is on the house. Read more about the offer or view the menu here.
- When: Monday, May 29 11AM-10PM
- Where: 191 Main Street, Hoover, AL 35244
For more, make sure to check out our favorite breweries and BBQ spots to help you celebrate this weekend.
How are you spending your Memorial Day weekend? Tag us @bhamnow to let us know!