If you’re into anime, gaming or cosplay, get your tickets now for Kami-Con. Alabama’s largest anime and gaming comic-con is coming to the BJCC February 10-12, and you don’t want to miss it.
Know before you go
- What: A three-day convention that celebrates Japanese culture, gaming, geek culture, anime and manga, comics, TV shows, movies + much more
- When: Friday, February 10-Sunday, February 12. Tentative hours:
- Friday: noon-midnight
- Saturday: 10AM-1AM
- Sunday: 10AM-6PM
- Where: BJCC East Exhibit Halls; 2100 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Children 10 + under free badge with the purchase of a normal badge from an adult chaperone. Children must be present at badge pickup or badge purchase to qualify.
- Weekend pass: $65
- Single-day pass: available to purchase at the door
- Friday: $45
- Saturday: $55
- Sunday: $35
- Other important info:
- Get tickets
Get autographs from your favorite actors + creators
And, Gary Trousdale—the creator, director, story writer and storyboard artist for major films such as Beauty and the Beast, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Lion King, Little Mermaid, Atlantis the Lost Empire and more—will be there.
Bring your money, because the vendor room has something for everyone, whether it’s autographs, Pokémon cards, fandom merch, games, collectibles and more.
While you’re there, be sure to spend some time in Artist Alley, which showcases the best juried selection of local and regional artists, featuring a variety of different styles and kinds of art.
Check out 5 concerts, including Vocaloid + 2 bonus events
- The Living Tombstone: They’ve been called “the Internet’s biggest gaming band” by NME, and with over 10 million fans and billions of streams, it’s easy to see why. They’ll be live at Kami-Con. Check them out on YouTube.
- DemonDice: This vocalist, rapper, lyricist and animator moved to Japan to start music activities in Tokyo’s underground internet rap scene. Now she’s found her niche popularizing “alternative rap.” She’ll be live at Kami-Con Saturday night. Listen.
- Vocaloid Concert: Kami-Con’s Authorized Fan Made Vocaloid Concert (IYKYK) is brought to you by Synthesized Reality Productions, bringing your favorite Vocaloid characters to life in fully-rendered 3D onstage. Closed-toe shoes required for entry to this one, which is Saturday night.
- CG5: This 23-year-old prolific singer/songwriter from Arizona is one of YouTube’s leading music creators, with over 3.7M subscribers and over 1B views. On Spotify, CG5 has amassed over 1.2B worlwide streams, plus 1.5+M monthly listeners. On TikTok, you’ll find over 7.6M video creations based on his songs, with almost 2M followers. Listen.
- OR30: Euria Sin, aka OR30, is a YouTube musician who’s known for her fan-made game songs and the ‘Clover’ series of songs. Fun fact: She’s a multilingual American of South Korean descent who speaks English, Korean, French, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese + Filipino (Tagalog) and she’ll be doing a concert. Listen.
- Kami-Con DANCE: Because where else can you go to a dance dressed as a dinosaur? 16+ up only—read the rules first so everyone has a good time.
- Fashion Show: Haenuli, a Lolita fashion design brand from Korea, and Hyper Core, the Harajuku street fashion group, will be performing a fashion show on Saturday afternoon.
Enter a contest for fame, glory + maybe cash
- AMV: Submit your Anime Music Video to the juried contest. Note: not all AMVs will make it to the competition. You have to be present at the contest to win awards.
- Cosplay Contest: With cash prizes to win, you don’t want to miss this one.
- Ramen-eating Contest: Spots are limited, so sign up fast. Also note, ramen is served hot, so partake at your own risk.
Watch anime to your heart’s content
Because Kami-Con is amazing, and sometimes you need to chill for a while. So, head to the Anime Screening Room when you need a break.
Table-top gaming, video game tournaments + more
If you’re a gamer of any stripe, you’ll be in heaven at Kami-Con.
- Japanese Arcade: In the room with the PCs, they have all kinds of arcade games you can play alone or with a friend.
- Console / PC Gaming: Rows + rows of gamers, plus tournaments you can watch.
- Tabletop Gaming: From D&D to Magic: The Gathering, you’ll find all the games you can imagine, plus other gamers to play them with.
- Active Gaming: Includes dodgeball, protect the congirls, capture the flag, parachute field day + more.