Did you know that since the pandemic, mental health has decreased and substance use has increased in the workplace? To help make employers and their employees happier and healthier, Addiction Prevention Coalition (APC) is hosting the Alabama Workplace Evolution: Navigating Mental Health and Substance Use conference on Friday, October 14. Read on to learn why company leaders and HR professionals are hurrying to buy their tickets to attend.
Did you know?
Before we fill you in on why the Alabama Workplace Evolution: Navigating Mental Health and Substance Use conference is a must-attend on Friday, October 14, here are some stats from the National Alliance on Mental Illness:
Among US adults in 2020:
- 1 in 5 experienced mental illness
- 1 in 20 experienced a serious mental illness
- 1 in 15 experienced both a substance use disorder + mental illness
- 12 million+ had serious thoughts of suicide
- Nearly 1 in 10 employees has a diagnosable substance use disorder with many more having impactful substance issues (binge drinking, abusing opioids, marijuana)
- $193B is the estimated annual cost of employee substance use in the US
Employees who misuse prescription drugs:
- Have triple the healthcare costs of other employees
- Miss 50% more workdays than their coworkers
In 2021, drug positivity rates in the US workforce also climbed to the highest level in 20 years—30% higher than the 30-year low recorded between 2010-2012.
Meet the conference host—Addiction Prevention Coalition
Now that you’ve learned some stats, you can see why APC decided to step in and host the Alabama Workplace Evolution: Navigating Mental Health & Substance Use conference on Friday, October 14.
“Coming out of the pandemic, companies big and small are facing so many issues. This conference is bringing together company leaders and HR professionals to learn and discuss best practices around supporting mental health, substance use prevention and recovery support in the workplace.”Carie Wimberly, Executive Director, Addiction Prevention Coalition
Here are some fast facts about APC and how they help the Birmingham community:
- It’s a local nonprofit community resource whose vision is to be a leader in addiction prevention by inspiring people to live with hope, resilience and purpose.
- It offers educational webinars, resources + support groups for those going through recovery as well as their families.
- It provides recovery support through special events. One is the annual End Addiction Walk that draws 3000+ participants from across the Greater Birmingham Area.
- It offers prevention education and groups in community organizations, workplaces + schools. This includes 16 INFOCUS Student chapters that meet in local high schools.
Learn more about APC in their 2021 End of Year Report.
The Alabama Workplace Evolution: Navigating Mental Health & Substance Use conference is an important APC fundraiser. Get your tickets now and help support APC’s initiative all year long!
What to expect during the conference
During the conference on Friday, October 14, you’ll join APC as well as fellow local managers and HR professionals seeking educational tools and guidance on how to navigate mental health and substance use prevention in the workplace.
There will be a variety of breakout sessions along with panelists who will discuss important topics such as:
- The ADA: Your Responsibilities as an Employer (Mental Health now qualifies as a Disability)
- The Employer’s Challenges around Medical Marijuana
- Navigating the Options and Levels of Care
- Drug Testing: Basics and Current Trends
- The Employer’s Role in Preventing & Responding to the Harmful Use of Alcohol & Other Drugs
- Audit your Drug-Free Workplace Policy and Program
Also on the agenda:
- Narcan training with the Jefferson County Department of Health
- Lunch (included in ticket price)
BONUS: The conference offers HRCI (Human Resource Certification Institute) and SHRM (Society of Human Resource Management) Professional Development Credits for HR professionals as well as Counselors, Nurses and Social Workers.
Are you ready to learn more? Get your tickets now.
- What: Alabama Workplace Evolution: Navigating Mental Health and Substance Use hosted by APC
- When: Friday, October 14 | 8AM-4PM
- Where: Jefferson State Community College, 4600 Valleydale Rd, Birmingham, AL 35242
- Cost: $97-$108