It’s been nearly eight months since the Housing Authority of the Birmingham District (HABD) began the demolition of Southtown Court in late 2021. Once the demolition process is complete, the site will be ready for redevelopment into a mixed-use, mixed income district with housing, office and commercial space, grocery stores and other neighborhood businesses.
What’s new with Southtown Court?
Since demolition officially began in December 2021, Southside Development Co.—the developer partner of HABD—has been steadily clearing the 25-acre Southtown Court site. Demolition of the Southtown Court development includes a total of 55 buildings:
- 43 housing buildings making up 455 obsolete dwelling units.
- 10 non-dwelling buildings, including community, management, daycare and maintenance buildings.
- 2 “shotgun” style residential dwellings on an adjacent lot.
According to Tevin Jones, Director of Communications for HABD, 35 of the original 55 buildings in Southtown Court have been demolished to date. The demolition phase is expected to wrap up around the end of August.
What’s next for Southtown Court?
Once demolition is complete, crews will begin the construction phase of the redevelopment—transforming the site into a mixed-use, mixed income housing and commercial development.
According to HABD, construction of the first phase of the redevelopment could begin as early as November of this year. Future plans include market-rate apartment and commercial buildings with space for groceries, retail and hotel space. In addition, the future Southtown Court is expected to include several acres of greenspace and parking space for 2,500 vehicles.
Learn more about the history of the Southtown Court redevelopment:
- (June 2019) Housing Authority board approves application for demolition of Birmingham’s Southtown Court
- (February 2021) Bham City Council Planning Committee to consider Southtown Court redevelopment rezoning
- (October 2021) Southtown Court cleared for demolition, redevelopment to start soon
- (December 2021) Southtown Court demolition begins, clearing the way for new mixed-use housing development
Stay up-to-date on the Southtown Court redevelopment by following Bham Now on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter + LinkedIn. Sign up for our newsletter to get guides, stories, and breaking news delivered to your inbox every day.