YWCA Central Alabama is celebrating men who have advocated within their companies and communities for gender and racial equity on Wednesday, May 4 from 6-8PM at Avondale Brewing Company. Keep reading to learn how you can join in on the fun!
This fundraising event is a great way to get out and enjoy the season’s weather. Here’s everything you need to know:
- What: A night of celebrating men who advocate for gender and racial equity with delicious food, engaging entertainment, light networking and spirited competition.
- When: Wednesday, May 4, 2022
- Time: 6-8PM
- Location: Avondale Brewing Company
- Price: YWCA asks attendees to please make a donation to one of the Allies’ campaigns. Meal tickets are also available for $15!
Making moves for women, families and our community
We’re all about supporting boss women at Bham Now. YWCA Central Alabama works every day to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. Here are some of the ways they promote social justice in Birmingham and beyond:
- Child development
- Community housing
- Domestic violence and supportive services
- Social justice
- Workforce development
- YWCA Family Resource Center
- My Sister’s Closet
There are endless ways that the YWCA is getting out there and advancing the lives of women, children and families in the community. Learn how you can be a part of it here!
Honoring the allies
In order to work towards YWCA Central Alabama’s vision of a community in which racism is eliminated and women are empowered, we need partners like our YW Allies to join the fight.
“These nominees were selected for their commitment to gender and racial equity – the heart and soul of YWCA Central Alabama’s mission. We know that in order to realize equitable workplaces and communities for women and people of color, it will take all of us. We are all in this together!”Dr. LaRhonda Magras, CEO, YWCA Central Alabama
Without further ado, let us introduce you to the 2022 YW Allies being honored on Wednesday, May 4:
- Dr. Carlos Alemán, CEO, ¡HICA! Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama
- Wilbur D. Johnson, Principal Engineer, Alabama Power Company
- Sheriff Mark Pettway, Sheriff, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
- Scooter Thomas, Planning Coordinator, Bridgeworth Wealth Management
- Rev. Keith Thompson, Senior Minister, Canterbury United Methodist Church
- James Stewart, Mayor, City of Irondale
- Josh Vasa, Director of Operations, Blight Free Birmingham
- Darrius Peace, President, Hayah Beauty
- Sam Todd, Director of Business Development and Corporate Governance, Vulcan Materials
Join the party
While we have seen a huge amount of progress around women’s issues through recent years, we know there is still work to be done—and when men are willing to stand up and be ALLIES, the race to gender and racial equity is sure to be won.
Register now and mark your calendars for May 4th! The 2022 YWCA Allies event is sure to be a good time. What’s better than celebrating an awesome group of men while hanging out and eating some delicious food?
Want to learn more about YWCA Central Alabama? Visit their website to get involved with more events like this one!