Today, April 5th, The World Games 2022 announced the four co-chairs of their Media Committee. Learn more about the new co-chairs and why this matters!
Meet the new Co-Chairs
Although The World Games 2022 will see thousands of attendees—both from Birmingham and from around the world—not everyone will be able to see the events in person. That’s why The World Games 2022 is relying on local, national and international media to cover the events and give those of us at home the chance to watch each sport.
In order to coordinate the massive media presence, The World Games 2022 has tapped four experts to work with the media. These experts are:
- Vickie Ashford-Thompson, a 31-year veteran of the Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau who serves as the Bureau’s Director of Travel Media.
- Helen Hays, Director of Public Information for Jefferson County and the former Chief Communication Officer for the YWCA of Central Alabama.
- BONUS: Learn more about Hays’ whitewater rapids experience.
- Rick Journey, who serves on Birmingham Mayor Randall L. Woodfin’s executive leadership team as Director of Communications. He’s also a former broadcast journalist.
- Andi Martin, the Public Relations Manager for the Alabama Tourism Department and a former Marketing and Public Relations Manager for the Alabama Historical Commission.
Leading up to and throughout the competitions, The World Games 2022’s Media Committee will lead volunteers in working with each local, national and international media outlets to ensure the media coverage goes on without a hitch.
Remember, The Games take place in Birmingham from July 7-17. Stay up to date by following them on social media.
Why it matters
Thousands of people are going to make their way to our city, so it’s important we showcase some of our talents. We’re excited to see local and statewide communications professionals be the voice of The Games.
“We have a great story to tell, not only about The World Games 2022 but also about Birmingham and Alabama. This team of talented storytellers will communicate with thousands of journalists from around the world who will travel to our city to chronicle this amazing sports experience.”Nick Sellers, CEO, The World Games 2022
Learn more about The World Games:
- The World Games 2022 is the most accessible sporting event ever
- Get ready to watch award-winning dancers “break it down” at The World Games 2022 through DanceSport competitions
As the official media partner of The World Games 2022, we’ll also be sharing the latest news of The Games, the city and beyond.