Remember back in March 2020, when jobs disappeared with lockdowns, and we found ourselves facing 12% unemployment in the Birmingham-Hoover area by April? Thankfully, happy times are here again, employment-wise, and if you’re looking for a job, there are 10 employers in the area with over 160 openings each. Keep reading for all the details.
Jobs in Birmingham-Hoover are way up + unemployment is way down
Unemployment in the Birmingham Hoover Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) has gone down a full 9.2% since its peak in April 2022.
The current rate is 2.8%, a historic low.
There are almost 3 jobs in Birmingham-Hoover per available candidate
According to AlabamaWorks!, there are currently 7,299 candidates for 23,897 job openings.
5 of the companies with the most jobs in Birmingham-Hoover are in healthcare
Not surprisingly, given the heavy toll the COVID-19 pandemic has taken, five of the companies with the most job openings in the area are in healthcare. The others are in education, fast food, banking and auto parts.
According to AlabamaWorks!, these are currently the 10 employers with the most job openings in the area:
- University of Alabama at Birmingham Health System: 1,595
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham: 825
- Tenet Healthcare Corporation: 407
- Community Health Systems, Inc: 361
- Ascension: 344
- Children’s of Alabama: 264
- McDonald’s Corporation: 222
- Regions Financial Corporation: 202
- Advance Auto Parts, Inc.: 170
- Tacala, LLC: 161—fun fact: this is the group that owns Taco Bell
Job fairs are a great way to get in front of potential employers
Job fairs are a great way to get in front of potential employers. This one is taking place Thursday, April 7 from 9:15AM-2:30PM in Hoover.
This job fair lasts from 10AM-2PM on April 7.