1. “Phoenix” Mural—@being2art
This abstract painting was inspired by the song “Phoenix” by Rhye. It portrays an awakening that points towards a collective awakening needed in society. A society that is more loving, compassionate and connected.
2. Welcome to East Lake Mural— @atolbert58, @annabatesbrown, @elizasturg & @patrickglenn
The East Lake mural is a nice big welcome to the area.
3. Kangaroo Jamz Mural—@easeful_essence
This mural depicts a kangaroo hopping along to the beat.
4. Making A Wish Mural—Laurie Kramer & R. Brannon Hall
This is the main mural in the North Birmingham Community Mural project. Over 100 volunteers from the community helped paint this mural.
- Location: 2619 30th Ave. North
5. Watercress Darter Mural—@mcmcbhm
One of Birmingham’s murals seems pretty fishy. You can spot this bright blue work of art across from the East Lake United Methodist Church.
- Location: 7753 1st Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35206
6. Dreaming in Woodlawn Mural—@blankspacebham
You can find this colorful mural on the side of an apartment building in Woodlawn.
- Location: 5529 1st Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35212
7. Eat Well Mural—@brother_andy
This mural depicts people holding hands over a shared meal. You can find it on the side of the City Meats and Vegetables building.
- Location: 5535 1st Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35212
8. Norwood Mural—@the_telepathic_opera
The Norwood Mural is located at 3115 12th Ave N, across from Lewie’s Appliance Store, at the entrance of the historic Norwood Community.
- Location: 3115 12th Ave N
9. Ensley Mural—@the_telepathic_opera and @thecolorprojectensley
This mural in Ensley is another one of @the_telepathic_opera’s creations and can be found on the side of the Bethesda Health Center.
10. Wells Fargo Mural
The six-foot-tall, 34-foot-wide mural is located at the Wells Fargo bank branch wall at 316 18th St. South near UAB. It has 18 images of Martin Luther King Jr., the “four little girls” and photos of Civil Rights leaders including Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth. The mural commemorates the 50 Anniversary of the Civil Rights Act.
- Location: 316 18th Street South
11. Good Vibes Mural— @thomsonftw & @brother_andy
A happy mural you can find in Avondale. It is the perfect photo op!
- Location: 201 41st St S, Birmingham, AL 35222
12. New Birmingham Broker Mural—@mammothmurals
A new mural came to the side of Birmingham Broker in March 2021.
- Location: 2224 4th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
13. UAB Solar House—@doug_baulos + @ibnib + @littleleafcollector
One of Birmingham’s murals can be found behind the UAB solar house. A cute frog and cat man can be seen on the green background.
14. Horse Pens 40 revamp Mural—@mammothmurals
There’s a special story behind this billboard. Horse Pens 40 is a historic nature park with beautiful rock formations. Native Americans once lived here in the natural rock shelters and the park is home to ancient burial grounds of early inhabitants of the area.
While there, you’ll discover a sign that says, “Leave nothing but footprints. Take nothing but pictures. Kill nothing but time.”
The Schultz family owns the property and invites you to come enjoy the natural beauty of Horse Pens 40. To hear more about the iconic sign’s revamp, here’s a short video.
15. Mayawell Goddess Mural—@magiccitymuralco
The bright and colorful Mayawell Goddess can be seen staring from the side of Mayawell Bar.
Stay tuned for even more Birmingham murals, and be sure to tell us about any we miss by tagging us @bhamnow.