If you’ve been missing live theatre, you need to get out your calendar and set reminders for these dates. Not only will Red Mountain Theatre be back for the 2021-22 season, but they’ll be in their new, state-of-the-art facility in Parkside. The first show starts December 3, 2021.
“We’re so excited for the first season of shows to take place at our Arts Campus. Each of these shows offers a unique and wonderful theatrical experience for both audience and performers. We can’t wait to see these shows come to life on our stages.”Red Mountain Theatre Director Keith Cromwell
1. Red Mountain Theatre (RMT) Holiday Spectacular
- What it is: Classic Holiday faves, performed by RMT Conservatory students, along with adults.
- When: Wed-Sun, December 3-19; Wed-Fri shows begin at 8PM; Sat shows begin at 2PM + 8PM; Sunday shows at 2PM
2. Once On This Island
- What it is: A two-act musical set in the Caribbean Sea that tells the story of Ti Moune, a peasant girl on an island. She uses the power of love to unite people of varying social classes. This highly original and theatrical Caribbean adaptation of the popular fairy tale The Little Mermaid ran on Broadway from 1990-91.
- Accolades: Eight Tony nominations for is Broadway run, including Best Musical, Book and Score.
- When: Feb 11-27, 2022; Th-Fri, 8PM; Sat 2PM + 8PM; Sun 2PM.
- What it is: a 2011 musical based on the 2007 John Carney film of the same name and adapted for the stage by Edna Walsh. It tells the story of an Irish street performer known as “Guy” and his love interest “Girl.” They fell for each other over their shared love of music.
- When: Th-Sun, Apr 8-24, 2022; Th-Fri, 8PM; Sat 2PM + 8PM; Sun 2PM.
4. Kinky Boots
- What it is: The plot of this musical centers on the character of Charlie Price, a man attempting to save his family’s Northampton, England shoe business. His strategy: produce high-heeled boots for drag performers.
- Fun fact: there’s a joyous, Tony-award winning score by Cyndi Lauper and a hilarious uplifting book by four-time Tony winner Harvey Fierstein.
- Accolades: Winner of six Tony Awards, including Best Musical.
- When: Jun 3-26; Th-Fri 8PM; Sat 2PM + 8PM; Sun 2PM.
5. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella
- What it is: the classic and beloved Cinderella, a girl forced to live with her evil stepmother before a fairy godmother rescues her and delivers her into the arms of Prince Charming.
- When: July 15-Aug 7; Tu-Fri 8PM; Sat 2PM + 8PM, Sun 2PM.
Get tickets now for the Red Mountain Theatre 2021-22 season at their new Arts Campus
- Location: Red Mountain Theatre’s Arts Campus, 1600 Third Ave. South, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Individual tickets go on sale in September
- 5-show gold package level 1 for $200 or level 2 for $160
- Season subscriptions can be renewed now
- Discounts + group rates available
Red Mountain Theatre is a Tony Award-winning nonprofit organization committed to enriching the cultural landscape of Birmingham and beyond through unique, high quality professional theatre and performing arts education.
If you’ve been around for a while, you may remember them back in their Summerfest days. Since they started in 1979, they’ve grown to become the preeminent year-round professional musical theatre organization in Alabama.
Also, their top-notch arts education program reaches 17,000 students each year. In addition to building the musical theatre skills of young artists, they’re commited to building Birmingham’s future.
Follow Red Mountain Theatre on their website, on Facebook or Instagram.