Read Time 2 Minutes
Move over strawberries, it’s the blueberries’ time to shine. Everyone loves a nice, fresh blueberry—especially when you can pick it off the vine. If you don’t know where to start or want to try something a little different from your local grocery store, we’ve compiled a list of u-pick blueberry farms near Birmingham just for you.
Now, keep in mind that some of these farms are not open for the 2021 season yet. Blueberries have diva tendencies and usually take a bit longer to get ready depending on the weather. In the meantime, choose your favorite u-pick farm and plan ahead by checking their socials to see when visitors are welcome.
Before heading out to the u-pick farms, check out these tips:
- Wear sunscreen. You’ll be walking around exposed to the sunlight for possibly hours, so the chances of sunburn are high.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Imagine having to cut your blueberry picking experience short because your feet are falling apart. That would be a tragedy.
- Check with your farm of choice before heading out. Some farms may have different hours due to weather or how much product they have left. We’ve provided the socials of each farm for you to easily check ahead of time.
- Bring Cash. Some farms take cards, but all of them take cash. Save yourself some time, and run by the ATM before traveling out to one of the u-pick farms.
- Pack a camera: You’re going to want to document your blueberry farm trip, so a camera is necessary. Don’t worry if you don’t have a professional camera. Capturing memories on your smartphone work just as well. Plus, it makes it easier to share directly to Instagram.
1. Lyon Blueberry Farm
- Address: 1700 County Road 56, Wilsonville, 35186
- Tentative Opening Date: June 9th. Follow their Facebook for updates.
- Hours: Wed-Sun 7AM-3PM; If a group wants to come outside normal hours, call ahead.
2. Bear Mountain Blueberry Farm
- Address: 8245 Clayton Road, Springville, AL 35146
- Tentative Opening: Mid-June. Follow their Facebook for updates.
- Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays from 7AM-12PM
- Notes: This farm is cash only—no big bills. Buckets and bags are provided. There is no public restroom.
3. Wadsworth Blueberries
- Address: 330 Wadsworth Rd Cropwell, AL 35054
- Tentative Opening Date: Mid-June. Follow their Facebook for updates and hours.
- Notes: People of all ages are welcome. Dogs that are not restrained are not allowed. There is a beautiful view of the Appalachian Mountain foothills as you’re picking your berries, so make sure you bring your camera.
4. Holmestead Farm
- Address: 6582 Clay County Road 7, Talladega, AL 35160
- Tentative Opening Date: Mid-June. Follow their Facebook page for updates.
- Hours: Mon-Sat 8AM-5PM | Sunday 1-5PM
- Notes: Holmestead Farms also has a country store and beautiful lawns with picnic tables for you and the fam to hang out after you’re done picking. For more information on Holmestead’s U-Pick farm’s produce and country store, visit their website.