If you’ve walked through Avondale recently, you’ve more than likely passed by the mural of Sun Ra, Fred Shuttlesworth, Spider Martin and Angela Davis. It’s no secret the significance the city of Birmingham played during the Civil Rights Movement. However, did you know that four of the most powerful figures during this movement have roots right here in the city of Birmingham?
The Firehouse Community Arts Center and the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute came together to present a series of live outdoor classrooms for the community entitled “Who’s on the Wall?”. The outdoor classrooms will take place at The Firehouse Community and Arts Center in Avondale from May through August, and will give an in-depth lesson of each individual pictured on the mural.
Eric Wallace, the founder and executive director of Firehouse Community Arts Center, said the inspiration for “Who’s on the Wall?” came from acknowledging the importance of the mural on the side of the building. They partnered with the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute to effectively educate the community on the impact each of the icons featured on the mural made.
“I think the Civil Rights Institute and its archivists and librarians are the perfect authorities on telling us about the history, the people on our wall and how they shaped the history of the city that we live in.”Eric Wallace, Founder and Executive Director, Firehouse Community Arts Center
The upcoming dates for live outdoor classes for the “Who’s on the Wall?” series are:
- Saturday, May 15th – Sun Ra
- Saturday, June 26th – Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth
- Saturday, July 17th – Angela Davis
- Saturday, August 21st – Spider Martin
Each session, guest speakers will go into detail about the life and accomplishments of the icon featured that week.
- Address: Firehouse Community Arts Center, 412 41st St. S., Birmingham, AL 35222
- Parking: Parking will be widely available and a tent will be set up to ensure attendees have access to shade.
- Time: 10AM
- Safety: Limited Capacity. Attendees will need to wear masks and remain socially distanced throughout the event.
- Age: All ages are welcome.
- Pricing: Tickets are $20.