If you’ve never visited these Birmingham bakeries and restaurants, it’s butter late than never to get there on National Poundcake Day. We like big bundts and we can not lie, so go ahead and give these places a try.
So why is pound cake called pound cake? 🍞
It’s not because that’s how much it weighs, despite the misleading name. The original recipe for pound cake actually included four of ’em—one pound for each ingredient of flour, eggs, butter and sugar.
The easy-bake cake dates back to the 1700s and food experts believe it to have originated in Europe. We’re happy it made it overseas to America and landed in the oven mitts of these local Birmingham bakers.
1. Emily’s Heirloom Pound Cakes
The 100-year old recipe for Emily’s Heirloom Pound Cakes is not only what helped send her sons as Student Ambassadors to Europe and China in 2014, but what’s turned a humble beginning into an explosive brand.
Although the cakes are now sold by national retailers like Sam’s Club and Amazon, owner April McClung stays loyal to local. You can find her around Birmingham at the Market at Pepper Place or donating treats to our city’s frontline workers.
- Where: 195 Vulcan Road, Homewood, AL 35209 (keep up with social media to see when you can find the cakes at local markets, food trucks and in stores around the city.)
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 10AM-6PM | Friday 9AM-5PM | Saturday 9AM-1PM
- Contact: Website | Instagram | Facebook | 205-937-7392 | email@example.com
2. Lé Fresca
Take a twist on the original pound cake with Lé Fresca’s olive oil cake garnished with blueberry compote and a hint of lemon zest. Instead of butter, the cake uses olive oil and adds a thin layer of sugar across the top for that perfect crunch.
- Where: 2218 2nd Ave N Birmingham, AL, US 35203
- Hours: Tuesday-Thursday 11AM-9PM | 11AM-9:30PM Friday-Saturday
- Contact: Website | Instagram | Facebook | 205-593-4241 | firstname.lastname@example.org
We ❤️ local and want to support you. If you own a local business, please add your information to our local business or our non-profit directory. It's where we will look first for up-to-date and relevant information on how the Birmingham community can support you right now.
3. Iron City Grill
As if you need a description after seeing this photo. But to entice you further—Iron City Grill’s Mixed Berry Pound Cake features mixed berry compote, lemon curd and whipped cream. The pound cake is just one of the delicious options on Iron City Grill’s new brunch menu.
- Where: 2208 6th Ave S, Birmingham, AL
- Hours: Monday-Friday 11AM-2PM | Sunday 10:30AM-3PM
- Contact: Website | Instagram | Facebook | 205-202-5483 | email@example.com
4. JaWanda’s Sweet Potato Pies
Named the best pie shop in Alabama by USA Today, JaWanda’s does it all—including pound cake. Between Crusty Cream Cheese, Chocolate, Lemon, Coconut Pineapple and Strawberry Shortcake you’ll go crazy trying to decide which flavor is best. Hack: go ahead and order all four from this family-owned bakery.
- Where: 5291 Valleydale Rd Birmingham, AL, US 35242
- Hours: Friday 10:30AM-4PM | Saturday 10:30AM-2PM
- Contact: Website | Instagram | Facebook | 205-874-9880 |firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Double Sweetness Cakery
Two sweet ladies, one sweet dream and tons of delicious options that extend past National Pound Cake Day. But since it’s the cake of the moment, we’ll highlight this beautiful creation above.
- Where: 1637 Center Point Pkwy Center Point, AL
- Hours: Wednesday-Friday 12-6PM | Saturday 12-5PM (or until they sell out, which is pretty much guaranteed so get there early!)
- Contact: Website |Instagram | Facebook | 205-874-6350 | email@example.com
6. Simply Sonequa Pound Cakes
From a simple bake sale to selling out specialties, Simply Sonequa Pound Cakes is a familiar name to those with a sweet tooth in Birmingham. Talk of Alabama even recently featured owner Sonequa Murray for her German Chocolate Cookies.
- Where: Exeter Avenue Birmingham, AL, US 35212 (keep up with social media to see when you can find the cakes at local markets and food trucks around the city.)
- Hours: Saturday 9AM-5PM | Sunday 12-5PM
- Contact: Website | Instagram| Facebook | 205-207-8047 | firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Nothing Bundt Cakes
Of course, we can’t do a pound cake guide and not include the business that’s credited nationwide with having some of the most delicious bundts around. Whether you want to go savory with a carrot cake flavor or get rich with chocolate and red velvet delights, satisfaction is 100% guaranteed.
- Where: 310 Summit Blvd Suite 100, Birmingham, AL 35243 | 3780 Riverchase Village Suite 600, Hoover, AL 35244
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 10AM-6PM | Sunday 12PM-6PM
- Contact: Website | Facebook | Instagram | 205-972-9222 | email@example.com