As the season of giving approaches, it’s easy to become overwhelmed trying to determine how and where to donate money. One of the easiest places to start is by simply switching your shopping habits so your dollars make a direct impact. Whether it’s by donating funds from each purchase or having an overarching mission statement to give back, these Birmingham businesses are fueling good into the world.
As a fair trade shop, Sojourns’ products aren’t the result of child, sweatshop or forced labor. You can shop guilt-free from over 400 artisans knowing they were paid fair living wages and work in safe conditions. Your purchase makes a difference because it’s supporting these artisans, many of whom are women liberated or protected from sex trafficking.
- Visit: 5520 Crestwood Blvd Birmingham, AL, US 35212
- Hours: Monday-Friday 10:30AM-6PM | Saturday-Sunday 1-4PM
- Contact: Shop Online | Instagram | Facebook | 205.323.5680
2. Studio By the Tracks
This nonprofit already does amazing things by serving as a studio and gallery for adult artists with autism spectrum disorders. However, in addition to providing social opportunities and a career path for its artists, each Studio By the Tracks artist receives 60% of all sales. Browse from one-of-a-kind items like T-shirts, cards, ceramics and more.
- Visit: 301 20th St S, Irondale, AL 35210
- Hours: Shop in-person at their Holiday Market on Wednesday, November 21 from 9-4PM
- Contact: Shop Online | Instagram | Facebook | 205.951.3317
🌟 Want an easy way to be cooler than all of your friends? Be the first to know about Birmingham's latest business news, upcoming events and weekly job openings when you sign up for our FREE newsletter. 🌟
3. Royal Cup
Royal Cup, a Birmingham-based coffee company, partners with Neverthirst, a nonprofit providing clean water to communities around the world. If you choose to brew ROAR coffee or tea at home or in the office, be aware that every cup poured helps provide clean water to underserved communities.
4. Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream
Although Jeni’s isn’t strictly a local Birmingham business with 14 locations nationwide, I did find it interesting to learn they’re a certified B Corporation. Jeni’s is committed to meeting higher social standards and environmental performance. In short, the company’s bottom line is not just profit, but also people and our environment.
- Visit: 219 29th St S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Hours: Sunday-Wednesday 12-10:30PM | Thursday-Saturday 12-11PM
- Contact: Website | Instagram | Facebook | 614.488.3224
5. ARC Realty
ARC Realty has a lot of community partnerships throughout Birmingham that involve giving back to various organizations and nonprofits, including the Alabama Kidney Foundation and UAB. During the month of October, ARC Realty made a donation for every new listing they have.
You can already feel good shopping at Basic with the knowledge in your pocket that the team only sources ethically-made garments from partners that disclose their production processes. But, the business takes it a step further and donates $5 of every sale to the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Human Rights Watch in support of the fight for equality.
- Visit: 2026 Morris Ave, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: Wednesday-Friday 10AM-6PM | Saturday-Sunday 10AM-2PM
- Contact: Shop Online | Instagram | Facebook | 205.290.5778
Rojo often hosts fundraisers and give-back nights for vital organizations in Birmingham like the Black Warrior River Keeper. Another special initiative they’ve taken on since the COVID-19 pandemic is partnering with Independent Presbyterian Church to provide meals to those who are suffering during the crisis.
- Visit: 2921 Highland Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35205
- Hours: Tuesday-Sunday 10AM-11PM
- Contact: Donate a meal | Instagram | Facebook | 205.328.4733
Birmingham is a cool place, and so are its companies. 👏 Take a look at who else is doing good in our community:
- Carbon neutrality: Who’s doing it in Birmingham + how you can help
- Local high school student honors his father’s legacy + creates organization to assist cancer patients
- Birmingham launches FREE service to help residents overcome financial hardships due to COVID-19