From Ensley to Hueytown, big things are taking place in West Birmingham. Check out a new black-owned grocery, new business incubators and more.
1. Dansby Foods—5 Points West
Birmingham native, NFL veteran and former Auburn University linebacker Karlos Dansby is opening an all-new grocery store in the 5 Points West Shopping Center. Though the store won’t open until the 4th quarter of 2020, Dansby Foods is doing big things for the Birmingham community.
They’ve partnered with I Care Alabama to donate thousands of boxes of free, healthy food to people in Birmingham. According to The Ultimate Fan, as of June 14, Dansby Foods has given away over 30,000 boxes of food within the last few weeks.
The duo isn’t stopping their efforts to help those in need in Birmingham, either. According to The Ultimate Fan, they will continue to host free food giveaways from the Dansby Food location in the 5 Points West Shopping Center.
Address: 2200 Bessemer Road, Birmingham, AL 35208.
Dates: July 14-August 15
2. Bell Peppers—Hueytown
Trying to live a low-carb lifestyle, but don’t want to give up your favorite foods? Say hello to the solution—Bell Peppers, a new low-carb restaurant opening in Hueytown on July 11.
I dove into the menu and food photos on Facebook and let me tell you—it all looks amazing! Check out some of the menu items below:
- Keto Cinnamon Waffle Sliders: turkey sausage, scrambled eggs, cheese and low-carb strawberry or grape jelly. Total carbs: 6 (without jelly)
- Alfredo Burger: 93% lean hand-patted ground beef, Alfredo sauce made with real cream, shredded parmesan cheese, bell peppers, onions, seasoned tomatoes and white American cheese. Bun: 15 net carbs
- Low-Carb Meatball Pizza: custom marinara, fresh Romano, Asiago, Parmesan and Fontina cheese, spinach, whole milk mozzarella, turkey or beef meatballs. Net carbs per slice: 6
You aren’t the only one who is excited about the menu. Owner of Bell Peppers, Anthony Clemons, is too.
“Honestly, I’m excited about almost everything on the menu. My favorite pizza is the ‘White Thunder’. Favorite waffle is the ‘Cinnamon Roll Waffle .’ Favorite burger is the ‘Smoked Gouda Burger.'”
Due to COVID-19, the restaurant will. be taking extra safety precautions to help keep customers safe. Tables will be spaced 6′ apart and 6′ markings will be in pace for customers standing in line.
3. Build UP
Have you heard of Build UP? It’s this really cool nonprofit organization in Ensley that equips participants with career-ready skills in construction and real estate.
Well, guess what! The organization has plans to expand within Birmingham and across the country. Thanks to a win at the Fannie Mae Sustainable Communities Innovation Challenge (The Challenge), Build UP will be able to open another school in Birmingham.
Next stops for Build UP are Titusville and Graymont. All aboard!
4. B Elite Suites—5 Points West
B Elite Suites is one of the newest business incubators to open in Birmingham. And I must say, I love their mission—to help salon businesses get their start. Pretty cool, right?
Find out about more local business incubators popping up around The Magic City.
5. Alabama Splash Adventure
Temperatures are H.O.T. If you’re seeking a place to cool down this summer, Alabama Splash Adventure in Bessemer has officially reopened.
Here’s a peek at just a few of the water park attractions you can check out during your visit:
- Upsurge: a 216 ft. drop-in slide.
- Twister: the ultimate body slide with back-to-back twists.
- Neptune’s Plunge: enclosed, dark tubes full of dizzying twists and turns.
- Castaway Island: an interactive play area with pumps, geysers, buckets and water gags for all ages.
- FreeFall: an extreme open-flume vertical drop body slide that ends in 6″ of water.
For COVID-19 safety precautions being taken during summer 2020, click here.
Address: 4599 Splash Adventure Parkway, Bessemer, AL 35022
Price: Adults and Children Over 52″ – $36 plus tax | Seniors 55 + and Children Under 52″ – $31 plus tax | Children 2 and under – no admission ticket required
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Don’t forget that Amazon now has a fulfillment center in Bessemer. They are still hiring, so if you’re interested, be sure to apply. How cool would it be to tell people you work for Amazon?!
Learn more about Amazon’s build up in Bessemer.