Testing at UAB
- Location: The corner of University Boulevard and 22nd Street South.
- Call hours: 7AM to 11PM
- Testing hours: 9AM to 1:30PM, seven days a week
Starting Monday, March 23 at 9AM, Birmingham’s first appointment-based community coronavirus testing site will start seeing patients. Since this facility is appointment-based, it offers easy access without the long wait lines and traffic.
The Jefferson County Department of Health is on the lookout for other key locations within the county to set up similar sites in the coming weeks.
How to Apply
If you start to develop the symptoms of COVID-19 and want to get tested, follow these easy steps:
- First, call 205.975.1881 to be screened by a medical provider.
- Next, work with the provider to schedule an appointment.
- Arrive no more than 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
Tips & Tricks
To make sure your appointment goes smoothly, please follow these instructions:
- Bring a cell phone to communicate with the staff on-site.
- Tune your car radio to 90.7 FM for important testing instructions.
- Do not roll down your window until instructed to do so.
- Stay inside your vehicle.
Test results from the downtown site should be available within three to four days. During that time, be sure to self-quarantine until you receive your results.
Even if your test is negative, be sure to do your part and maintain social distancing!
The downtown testing site is not the only place where you can receive a test in Birmingham!
- Assurance Scientific Labs is one of 26 commercial labs in the country approved by the FDA for COVID-19 testing. As of March 19, they have tested 2,604 patients in Alabama.
- Urgent Care for Children is testing patients from the ages 0 to 21 for COVID-19, as well as everyday illnesses and injuries.
- Alabama Department of Public Health is working with local healthcare providers to test for COVID-19 via the State Lab.