We love catching a concert at Iron City or the BJCC, and it’s pretty hard to beat the historic Alabama Theater. However, if you’re looking for a place to enjoy live music on a whim pop into one of these spots for local tunes and national acts around Birmingham.
Don’t skip special venues
You can find a decent amount of shows at Saturn during the week. If your music taste skews more toward alternative, this is the perfect venue to jam out at—tickets sell out quick!
- Where: 200 41st St. S., Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: Mon.-Thurs. 4PM-12AM | Fri. 4PM-2AM | Saturday-Sunday 12PM-12AM
If you’re a concert junkie and haven’t heard about DIY Birmingham, you’re about to have your day made. DIY Birmingham is an organization that promotes DIY music through its social media. DIY music is usually underground artists not represented by a label. DIY Birmingham is a great resource for finding a last-minute show. I recommend following them on Instagram.
- Where: All over! It could be at a private residence or popular spots like Seasick Records, the Firehouse and Club Duquette.
Wild Roast Cafe
Hoover’s neighborhood coffee shop serves up more than a delicious roast. Pop by for an open mic night or local musician and enjoy the cozy atmosphere and friendly staff.
- Keep up with their social media to see upcoming shows
- Where: 585 Shades Crest Rd., Hoover, AL 35226
- Hours: Mon.-Fri. 6:30AM-7PM | Sat. 8AM-7PM | Sun. 10AM-5PM
P.S. We found some pretty cool spots a couple of years ago. Check out our guide.
Keep your eye on Sofar Sounds
Sofar Sounds host acts in Birmingham from local bands to those hailing all the way from London. The organization creates intimate settings at unexpected venues like TJ Tower and Redemptive Cycles. If you’re in the mood for dreamy, secret shows, follow their social to know who’s coming next.
Break it down at the bar
With music almost every night of the week, you’re sure to find something you like. Local, regional and national bands come to play at “Birmingham’s Dirty Little Secret.” Between rap, country, metal and funk, there’s no way you’ll hear the same thing twice.
- Where: 2514 10th Ave S., Birmingham, AL 35205
- Hours: Mon.-Fri. 2PM-4AM | Sat. and Sun: 24 hours
If you’re looking for a casual place to catch some tunes with coworkers, check out Mojo. Local musicians take the stage nearly every night of the week, minus Sunday and Monday.
- Keep up with events on its Facebook and Instagram
- Where: 2801 7th Ave S., Birmingham, AL 35233
- Hours: Mon.-Sun., 3PM-2AM
Mudtown Eat & Drink
According to Mudtown, “You’ll feel the friendly spirit, smell enticing aromas & enjoy a quality dining experience in a laid back setting.” In addition to loaded potato soup, Mudtown is also loaded with local musicians throughout the week.
- Keep up with events on Facebook and Twitter
- Where: 3144 Green Valley RdCahaba Heights, Alabama
- Hours: Mon.-Thurs. 11AM-9:30PM | Fri.-Sat. 11AM-10:30PM | Sun. 11AM-8:30PM
Birmingham’s favorite little funky bar has live music just about every weekend, in addition to DJs. My first Friday after moving to Birmingham I heard a Grateful Dead cover band that was so good, I almost turned into a Dead Head.
- Where: 4411 3rd Ave. S., Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: Sun.-Wed. 4PM-Midnight | Thurs.-Sat. 4PM-2AM
Chill out at a Birmingham brewery
Avondale Brewing Company
If you’re looking for a weekend show at Avondale, you’re set for at least the next couple of months. The brewery is booked with events and you’ll be able to catch all types of jams.
- Where: 201 41st St S., Birmingham, AL 35222
- Hours: Mon.-Wed., 12-10PM | Thurs., 12-11PM | Fri.-Sat., 12PM-12AM | Sun., 1PM-10PM
Slag Heap Brewing in Trussville
It’s easy to immediately think downtown for music, but you could be missing out on some awesome musicians at Slag Heap. Their tunes are usually accompanied by great food and, of course, good beer.
- Calendar: Check their Facebook for upcoming events
- Where: 227 Main St., Trussville, AL 35173
- Hours: Tue.-Wed. 4PM-9PM | Thurs., 4-10PM| Fri., 3-11PM | Sat., 12-11PM | Sun., 2-6PM
Ghost Train Brewing
Throughout the week you can grab your friends and catch various shows on Ghost Train’s stage. Also, don’t miss their open Bluegrass Jam on the third Tuesday of every month. Bring your instruments and join in!
- Where: 2616 3rd Ave S., Birmingham, AL 35233
- Hours: Mon.-Wed. 12-10PM | Thurs.-Sat. 12AM-12PM | Sun. 12-8PM