What better way to avoid those political arguments at holiday dinners this season, than by singing through them? Okay, this isn’t a musical so maybe it won’t be that easy. But, you can relieve the tension afterward at these five Birmingham karaoke bars.
1. Put on a 70’s show at Mom’s Basement.
This is the best Birmingham karaoke spot if your friends from college are in town. Play a couple games of Boggle or Jenga as you warm up (and drink up) to the thought of getting on stage. Never mind that your performance will be immortalized in Snapchat for the rest of your life.
- Every Thursday at 9 p.m.
- Facebook: @momsbham , Instagram: @momsbham , Website
- Located at 4411 3rd Ave South, 35222
2. The Brown Derby is quintessential for Birmingham karaoke.
The casual atmosphere of The Brown Derby makes for a great setting to sing any song you can find in your range . However, that equals one for me — “Come on Eileen” (only because I always change it to Irene.)
Break the ice with new coworkers that your average holiday office party won’t achieve (who bonds over a deli platter?). You might even find your Friday and Saturday karaoke night hosted by an Elvis impersonator. It’s pretty hard to feel silly compared to a person dressed like Elvis.
- Friday and Saturday nights starting at 8 p.m.
- Facebook @TheBrownDerby
- Located at 3630 6th Ave S, 35222
3. Al’s On Seventh will make you feel like a star.
Ward off the Sunday scaries by performing some Celine Dion at Al’s on Seventh. Or, start your weekend early by convincing your friends to go after work on Thursdays. Either way, kick the stress with a little post or pre-weekday fun.
It might be intimidating to perform considering Al’s hosts Drag Race superstars and national pageant holders. However, the welcoming and supportive atmosphere will fight off the pre-show jitters.
- Thursdays at 9 p.m. and most Sundays at 8 p.m.
- Facebook: @alsonseventh , Instagram: @alsonseventh
- Location 2627 7th Ave S, 35233
4. Birmingham karaoke, but make it Irish at Brennan’s.
I don’t think Celtic songs are required at Brennan’s Irish Pub, but I personally wouldn’t rule it out. Join the crew Mondays for “OffKilter” karaoke (kilts optional.)
Brennan’s was voted the Best Bar in Bama by Alabama Magazine, so hopefully your singing won’t make it lose that reputation (just kidding!). The upbeat vibe and yummy food is sure to put even the Eeyore of the group in a great mood.
- Monday at 8:30 p.m.
- Facebook: @Brennan’sIrishPubBham , Instagram: @brennansirishpub Website
- Location 1108 20th Street South, 35205
5. Strike out in more ways than one at Super Bowling Lanes.
If you’re not good at bowling, try your voice on the JukeBox ! If you aren’t good at that either, Super Bowling Lanes has wonderful drink specials.
This is a great space to visit with a large group of people, because there’s something for everyone – including darts and pool. Now here’s a place to take those picky in-laws.
- Friday and Saturday nights
- Facebook: @SuperBowlingSportsBar, Website
- Located at 4416 Pinson Valley Pkwy 35215