Luxury movie theaters, axe throwing, duckpin bowling at the Woolworth and—OMG, when will Dave & Buster’s open already? As we roll into October, 2018 has been an eventful year for welcoming fun new recreational activities to Birmingham. Bham Now has the scoop.
1. Luxury Movie Theaters
- What’s the deal? Reserved seating, dine-in options, full bar and—the biggie—big, cushy, electronically adjustable reclining chairs with footrests and swivel trays.
- Opened Aug. 20: AMC Dine-In Vestavia Hills 10 is AMC’s first luxury renovation in Birmingham, featuring a MacGuffins bar. Where’s it located? 1911 Kentucky Avenue in Vestavia Hills City Center.
- Coming Spring 2019: Premier LUX Cinema will return the former Point of Grace Church to its movie theater roots. Where’s it located? 500 Commons Drive. Once it’s complete, enter the theater via a new road off Lakeshore Parkway, between John Carroll Drive and Oxmoor Road.
Fun fact: the arrival of luxury movie theaters in Birmingham metro ranked high on the anticipation scale. This Bham Now story about the luxurious details of the upcoming Premier LUX Cinema off Lakeshore Parkway got 21,378 unique views and approximately 5,400 Facebook shares.
2. Axe Throwing
- What’s the deal? Put on your close-toed shoes for this national trend that began in Canada. Fans say the primal adrenaline rush is addicting. You can even join a league. (Get the full Bham Now story.)
- Opened Labor Day Weekend 2018: Civil Axe Throwing is an Alabama-based family business. Birmingham is its fourth location, following Huntsville, Chattanooga and Memphis.
- Where’s it located? 3004 4th Avenue in Avondale. Enter through the back door via the entrance off 30th Street South.
Fun fact: At 7 points, a clutch is the highest-scoring axe throw. You can only throw it in the final round, and you better remember to call “clutch.”
Lest you be afraid, Civil Axe Throwing is certified by the National Axe Throwing Federation. That means they follow all the proper rules and regulations for good, clean fun with axes.
After letting off steam with one Birmingham’s most out-of-the-box recreational activities, mosey over to Hop City for a beer. Check out how close it is on the map above! Or, dine at Blueprint on 3rd. Need more suggestions? Check out Bham Now’s ultimate guide to going out in Avondale.
3. The Woolworth
- What’s the deal? From Orchestra Partners, the same team behind El Barrio and Paramount, you know The Woolworth is fun. Enjoy duckpin bowling (think bowling, but smaller in every way), foosball and the biggest PAC MAN you’ve ever seen. Plus, it boasts a full bar, tapas menu and rooftop lounge.
- Opened Aug. 30: Get the full Bham Now story, which covered the grand opening.
- Where’s it located? 1006 20th Street South, in the heart of the historic Five Points area of Southside. It’s super close to UAB, too (lucky students).
Fun fact: The name has double meaning. The location used to be a five and dime Woolworth store. “Woolworth” is also a bowling term for a 5-10 split.
4. Dave & Buster’s
- What’s the deal? Dave and Buster’s is a popular Dallas-based restaurant/sports bar/arcade and a mecca for recreational activities. The Birmingham location will offer between 150 and 250 arcade games. (Get the full Bham Now story.)
- Tentatively opening Nov. 19: Gearing up for the opening, Dave & Buster’s in Birmingham is hiring all positions.
- Where’s it located? Riverchase Galleria in Hoover.
Fun fact: Dave & Buster’s is one of the most searched terms on Bham Now’s website. Of all new and upcoming recreational activities in Birmingham, this might be the most anticipated. We’ll keep you posted!
Do you know of fun new recreational activities in Birmingham that I missed? Let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org.