Zyp bikes have been in Birmingham for a couple years now, but if you’re still wondering how to use them, we’ve got you covered. Here’s everything you need to know about how to rent and ride a Zyp bike—and where to find them.
The Rate To Ride
To take advantage of the Zyp BikeShare program, you have to pay. But really, the rates aren’t too steep. (Phew!)
Here’s the price breakdown:
Annual Membership: Will you be Zyping around Birmingham a lot? Then you should definitely drop some cash for a Zyp membership. Doing so will allow you to ride as often as you’d like for one year.
Occasional Membership: If you only intend to Zyp every once in awhile, then an annual membership won’t be your best bet. Instead, opt for the Occasional Membership. Choose between three passes:
- 1-day pass — $6
- 3-day pass — $12
- 1-month pass — $20
How To Purchase A Membership
Now that you know the price breakdown for a Zyp membership, here’s how to purchase:
To purchase an Annual Membership:
- Register on Zyp.com.
- You’ll be sent a Key Fob and user login so you can enjoy all the unlimited rides you want.
To purchase an Occasional Membership:
- Locate a Zyp BikeShare station with kiosk.
- Choose the type of pass you want.
- Pay using your credit/debit card.
Once you have paid, the kiosk will provide you with a temporary pass to use during the duration of your membership.
Unlock Your Zyp and Ride
Think you can just grab a Zyp bike and ride away? Come on, there has to be more security than that in order to keep Zyp bikes safe. So you’ll need to unlock it to ride it. To do this:
- Choose an available bike from any Zyp station.
- Press the horn button to activate the bikes digital screen.
- Place your Zyp pass or key fob flat below the screen. (If this doesn’t work, you can also enter the bike number you will be provided via the Zyp App when you buy your membership.)
- Wait for the “beep”.
- Pull the bike out of its docking station and start Zyping!
Return Your Zyp
When your ride is over, you’ll need to return it to one of the Zyp stations located around town. To return your ride:
- Line up the bike’s front tire and push it into any of the open docking points.
- Wait for the “chirp”.
Ensure the screen says “Bike Docked”. (If you leave before properly docking your Zyp, this could lead to overtime fees!)
Want to Zyp again? Who could blame you! Simply repeat steps 1-3. If your membership/pass is still active, repeat step 2-3 as often as you’d like.)
Zyp BikeShare Stations
Zyp Bikes are cool, but Zyp BikeShare stations are even cooler. Here’s why:
- Zyp bikes and their docking stations use clean energy, which means all bikes are fully charged via solar panels. No electricity needed. Bravo!
- Stations are portable and adaptable. Because they are powered independently and use wireless communication, they can be easily relocated to adapt to new locations.
The Zyp App
Apps make life easier, don’t they? Which is why downloading the Zyp App is definitely worth your while. When you download the app, you will be able to:
- Purchase an occasional membership right on the spot, 24/7.
- Unlock your Zyp bike.
- View a map of all Zyp BikeShare stations nearby
- Keep track of time used to avoid late-return fees.
- Keep track of your previous rides so you can know how far/long you have travelled.
Zyp Station Locations
Birmingham has an incredible 40 Zyp kiosks featuring 400 bikes to share. Who knew there were so many!
Here are three of the best check-out and return stations around town:
1. Railroad Park/Region’s Field
The Zyp BikeShare station located by Railroad Park and Region’s Field is one of the most popular in town. Anyone up for a ride in the park?
2. 20th St. and 2nd Ave
Not only does the Zyp BikeShare station at 20th St. and 2nd Ave feature a pay kiosk, but it’s location is totally charming thanks to Pepper Place and all of the other hot spots nearby.
3. Sloss Docks Back Forty
Not only do you get to ride by Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark at this station, but you can also grab a refreshing beer after your ride.
Check out the full list of Zyp BikeShare locations.